Aldi and Lidl...will they fall short ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
From what I see, people are picking and choosing to buy some products from one supermarket, some from another, based on quality, cost etc and they are willing to travel (by car) to several a week, sometimes several a day.

It's almost as if we are returning to a 'town high street' way of shopping, ie going to different shops for different things...butchers, bakers, veg shop....except that now the major supermarkets closed all the independents down, we have to drive miles to get the best quality or bargains.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I go into the local Aldi around 15 minutes before closing time. During the day it's full of oldies shuffling around and moaning about anything that moves. The tills are badly manned,they call those at the back of the queue over when they re-open another till which pees the ones off at the front who've been waiting patiently. They also expect you to pack your vittles asap and do one,as the next customer hovers nearby hassling you to move it! The staff also expect you to dive out the way when they're moving cages and pallets around,apart from that it's not too bad.:rolleyes:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like a lot of their things, and they have improved immensely from the 70's, when I had to take my Auntie there for shopping. I think their quality is much better now. Meat and produce are fine there. My dogs love their dog food over here, a Canadian brand called "Shep". But their stores and car parks are small, and the stores themselves have not changed a bit since way back when. Which is nice, as you know where to find things. I've been at this grocery store thing for a long time, about 40 years, and I still do the majority of the shopping since I've been married(25 yrs).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yeah, probably moaning most about the young people and asking why are these shirkers not working in the pits or digging in the fields all day instead of getting in the way of real shoppers.

A good rant Accy:thumbsup: ^_^

Don't get me started on when it's a cycling clothing/accessories launch day and the old gits have to be there picking up the stuff manhandling it! :headshake:As if they're going to use the stuff ffs! :thumbsup:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think my last cycling discussion with a person not in my cycling club or at work was at Aldi. I was looking at saddles, and a man in his seventies came up and told me that considering gel saddles was just a waste of my time, and they were good money after bad. I did like their tire pump, though. We in the States get precious little cycling stuff at Aldi, for some reason. It is mostly things like patio ornaments and other things for enjoying some sort of sedentary but decorative lifestyle I am unaware of.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think my last cycling discussion with a person not in my cycling club or at work was at Aldi. I was looking at saddles, and a man in his seventies came up and told me that considering gel saddles was just a waste of my time, and they were good money after bad. I did like their tire pump, though. We in the States get precious little cycling stuff at Aldi, for some reason. It is mostly things like patio ornaments and other things for enjoying some sort of sedentary but decorative lifestyle I am unaware of.

It's tyres not "tires" Gravity!:whistle: ;)

Went to our local Aldi about 6 months ago and spotted an Aston Martin in the carpark.

Probably belongs to a member of the staff

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
No Aldi in Taunton though we do have two branches of Lidl :unsure:

Been there a few times but not for a few years. I buy my meat from the butcher's in my village - am yet to find anywhere to top the quality - and although they stock some stuff I like, the queues are my number one reason for not going.

@Peteaud has recommended their stollen so I might give them another go.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I think this thread highlights the power of branding.

It's almost a thread that is worried if Aldi/Lidl gains a material amount more of market share, because it may mean that their current shopping "experience" may diminish and hence their life might become out of sync.

That isn't meant to be a sleight on the OP and is just me musing.:smile: And talking balls^_^

Not balls, the shopping 'experience' IS different. Its not the end of the world, but for instance, LIDLs in P'Boro is a bit of a tip (IMO). Its not snobbery, its not 'falling for the power of branding'...its just liking to do my shopping in a clean orderly fashion, personally I find that moderately difficult in Lidl / Aldis round here. I want to be in, out, no fuss. I don't find that happens round here.

The purpose of the post was not to slag them off....as I said, much of the stuff ive tried is ok, genuinely...but rather to guage what others experiences are.
Judging by the posts, they're doing ok.
This week ive started late shift. As I do the shopping (usually in the evening when its hopeless at our Aldi)...I will have an opportunity to do a proper shop when its not too busy.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
You do realise that you're meant to re-load the trolley, pay, then wheel the trolley to the packing shelf and take your time there? It's a good system that works well once people get the idea. Some people find it hard to comprehend though.
Oh please^_^:thumbsup:.....

ScotiaLass

Guru
Fortunately there is a market for them and they are getting the big sheds worried as they are definitely hitting their market percentages.

The specials each week are very popular, and for me, their fresh fruit and veg beats the others - hands down.
Ok, they will not last as long as the others, however, their quality and taste far outweigh the sheds tasteless crud.
This!
Their fresh veg is superb and much better than the big supermarkets offerings. I too like the specials and the majority of stuff is decent quality.
Our local Lidl and Aldi both have ample parking and it's never been too busy when I've popped in.
I'm planning on getting some of my Christmas food shop/treats from there this year.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
You say lack of choice, but generally the big supermarkets have too much choice with 20 varieties of rice etc. my local store keeps changing it's layout to be able to offer more with new fruit and veg displays recently. And they changed the tills to fit in about 50% more. They recently started taking credit cards which is good so I get Tesco points when I shop there:whistle:.

There are a few things it doesn't do that I would like it to, but it's quicker to walk around than Tesco's.

At the moment I think they are doing fine.
Ref the choice, its my choice that's missing at Aldis for instance. I'm quite picky and like what I like.
TBF, we (the buying public) all buy a specific brand each week according to personal preference, irrespective of there being 20 different choices. The huge range in mainstream supermarkets is not for our benefit, rather to entice different people with different tastes...in otherwords, a wider customer base.
If Aldi / Lidl can produce a product that suits the majority of peoples taste, they'll definitely be on a winner.

Its a good job they now take CCs. Again, that somewhat marred my experience with them in the past. Good to see them entering the 20th century, let alone the 21st.

Top Bottom