Aldi and Lidl...will they fall short ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
:smile:
Two people have mentioned Aldi and certain premium cars in their car parks. Why?

Because you save so much money shopping there you can afford a fancy car

400bhp

Guru
So what was the reason for posting your colleague drives an R8 and shops at Aldi, along with an exclamation mark?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A love of authentic German sausages, lebkuchen and stollen?
No, Aldi for the Schnitzel, LiDL for the salami. Sausages at both. Lebküchen and Stollen, big and small at both. People have mentioned the price of veg and beer but their household stuff, like washing powder and other cleaning products, save a fortune. Cooking wine from Aldi, cooking lager from LiDL.

Mike_P

Guru
Lidl at least have security sensors on their baskets to stop them walkkng out of the store, I know because a work colleague tried to take one out of the store and set the alarm off apparently. Do not have an Aldi nearby but the nearest Lidl is a realtively neat store, on the other hand a trip to one in an inner city location has a completely different atmosphere but then the same can be said of Asda etc depending on location.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Ooh, Catford LiDL! Been there, done it!

Mrs M

Guru
Anyhow, what's an R8?
image.jpg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Ask guitarpete247, he started it
I was just drawing attention to the fact that just because the prices are low doesn't mean that the quality is low. If someone who can afford an Aston goes to Aldi they would be going for the quality of the products not the low budget products some might think these shops stock.

I often shop at the Atherstone branch of Aldi. Atherstone is where their distribution centre is but that towns branch often doesn't have the full range of offers that some other local stores have :sad:.

Mrs M

Guru
I was just drawing attention to the fact that just because the prices are low doesn't mean that the quality is low. If someone who can afford an Aston goes to Aldi they would be going for the quality of the products not the low budget products some might think these shops stock.

I often shop at the Atherstone branch of Aldi. Atherstone is where their distribution centre is but that towns branch often doesn't have the full range of offers that some other local stores have :sad:.

Yep, I agree, the R8 driver is constantly nagging me to go to Aldi as in her opinion the meat is even better than M&S.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Years ago I used to buy everything from Tesco as I was lazy and hated shopping. Several years down the line and not as well off as I used to be I buy all my groceries and alcohol from Aldi and toiletries from Home Bargains or B&M. I save a fortune and the majority of the food and definitely the alcohol is better than Tesco for my tastes by some distance. The toiletries are exactly the same but vastly cheaper in Home Bargains etc. I live in a small town where all these places are handy so it is not an issue.

Having said that I was in Tesco recently and surprised to see milk down to £1 for 2 litres as it used to be quite a bit more, obviously Aldi and the likes have hit them hard on the basics that they used to fleece convenience shoppers on and they have had to lower prices to compete, what a shame (not)...

Top Bottom