Always carry 2 inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

I'd better check my spare tubes. They might have gone all crispy and hard in the PRKs. :biggrin:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
We all know the weather today was bad, coming home, half way, with 8 miles to go ran over an over turned road sign which when I saw it, was too late.

Double puncture straight away, but luckily I carry 2 inners, so replaced them both, but what struck me was that if I had not had 2 I would have been shafted, because where I was there were no street lights, I would have stood no chance of fixing with my puncture kit as it was dark windy and raining.

Worst of all it was so cold that once I started on the rear wheel, I was shivering, and by the time I was pumping the tyres up I could not feel my fingers anymore.

Once finished and ready to go, it took me a good 3 minutes to get my gloves back on, using my teeth.

Luckily there was a great tail wind and so I was able to limp home with half tyre pressure.

So take care of there folks and remember to check your essential gear you need, especially inner tubes!

I've taken to carrying 3, not by design, I've just collected them and keep them in the rucksack (they don’t weigh a lot)

The cold and wet sounds awful, its really shocking how quickly you cool down (when hot and sweaty) and how it adds to your un-coordination and sometimes causes confusion. I picked up a puncture on a cross country ride a week or so ago and in the confusion, couldn’t get my pump to work (I assumed I'd somehow packed the wrong tubes with inappropriate valve).

I hadn’t, I was trying to lock the pump rather than unlock it, so the valve couldn’t go in (admittedly its been a while so I'm out of practice...good old armadillos). had to "borrow" another pump to convince myself I was wrong

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I only carry one spare tube but to carry at least one other makes sense. I once had a double p and was then horrifed to discover the little tube of glue in my repair kit had completely dried up (there was a small crack in it) as I hadn't needed it for months. So I always check the glue every couple of weeks so I don't .......wait for it.....come unstuck ;)!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
pah! I carry five!

(but if I get a puncture in London I just grab a taxi)
Being a helpful and friendly cyclist, I always think of one of my spares as being available for other cyclists in need. Which reminds me - Calum, you owe me a tube! ;)

Some people accuse me of being over-cautious but I have had 3 punctures in one ride a couple of times now. I believe in self-sufficiency and I don't have anybody sat at home with a car, ready to come and pick me up. I don't even carry my phone most of the time so I can't phone for a taxi (even if I could afford one). Where I cycle I could often be 5 miles or more from a call box.

jimboalee

Being a helpful and friendly cyclist, I always think of one of my spares as being available for other cyclists in need. Which reminds me - Calum, you owe me a tube! ;)

Some people accuse me of being over-cautious but I have had 3 punctures in one ride a couple of times now. I believe in self-sufficiency and I don't have anybody sat at home with a car, ready to come and pick me up. I don't even carry my phone most of the time so I can't phone for a taxi (even if I could afford one). Where I cycle I could often be 5 miles or more from a call box.
That's IF your spare tube is the correct size.

Audaxing on 26 x 1 1/4" ( and next year 20 x 1 3/8" ) the 700C unfortunates wave me on.

Tynan

Veteran
I've called the wife out before when it's cold and raining and dark and I didn;t have a tube, I find those Park patches just about ok indoors, I found them useless in the field, has anyone really used them in the wet?

ColinJ

I've called the wife out before when it's cold and raining and dark and I didn;t have a tube, I find those Park patches just about ok indoors, I found them useless in the field, has anyone really used them in the wet?
I used one in the wet once, or rather, I tried to - it didn't stick!

Dewi

Veteran
I carry two tubes in my panier but one for the hybrid and one for the MTB and just put the panier on what I am riding. I am now wondering about two tubes for both bikes in addition to the repair kit. I do carry some tyre foam stuff (never used) just in case.

I am a fan of Slime tube sealant for both my bikes, seems to be less problem with the smaller holes?

jimboalee

Do you think it would be a good idea to sacrifice 1 1/2" off the depth in the backbox on my BSA, make a false bottom panel and pack the cavity with spare tubes?

ColinJ

Ditto. And a mobile!

Hands up though, who regularly checks their puncture repair kits to check the glue hasn't gone hard! :blush:
I don't, but I agree that it's a good idea to do that.

I prefer to swap tubes on rides and repair at home so it has been a long time since I did a roadside puncture repair. The last time I went to patch a tube at home, the glue in my kit had indeed gone dry! 

I'll go and check my glue now. (Hang on...) It's okay - it's a pretty new kit and it looks like I've only done one repair with it so far.

Top Bottom