Another Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millypops82

Hi,

Have had a quick look through this site and realise I am asking the questions everyone else does - but here goes regardless!

I have just moved to Bristol from London and decided that a new start means a new life - and cycling instead of getting the tube. Also, have the Cycle to Work scheme so seems a waste not to get involved.

I am female, 5,8'' and work in a professional field - so will need to take suit, laptop on the back of the bike - so panniers are a must. Am 5,8'' and completely new to cycling, although not ridiculously unfit! Beyond the one nightmare hill in Clifton, is flat roads and bike paths all the way on the commute (3k each way).

So now the million dollar question. What bike and size? I am looking to spend approx £600-700 but include with that price all the accessories - lock, lights, panniers etc. From what I can see a hybrid or road bike seems the way. Like the idea of an upright position. My friend had round bars put on her Ridgeback bike and was great to ride. However, i will defer to your opinions. Hoping to pick it up this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Good work on choosing to ride instead of tubing it! Do you have any facilities at work such as showers or lockers to allow you to leave some clothes there instead of carting them around every day? My office has no showers but we do have lockers so I tend to leave trousers, shoes and jacket at work then bring in shirts as and when required. There are some good debates about panniers, I got some with my C2W but rarely use them, preferring a small backpack with a mesh system to keep it away from my back.

In terms of bikes, you need to go and test ride. For a new cyclist in a city a hybrid may be the best but you may find like me that you hanker for a road bike once you start enjoying longer rides. The seasoned pros on here will give you better advice than I (as a novice) can.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

millypops82

Hehe - just realised i said that twice!

You can tell I am at work and trying to write things quickly as opposed to taking my time!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi :biggrin:
Go to a bike shop by home or work and ask to sit on some bikes to help incicate sizing. I'm guessing maybe a 54? I would ask you about your inside leg but it seems a little cheeky!

Regards,
SD

OP
OP
M

millypops82

This site is fab. Obviously cyclists are a friendly bunch - can't believe people have replied already!

Is a tad personal question - but inside leg is 32.

Not that I want to start the Halfords v LBS debate again, however, my Cycle to Work scheme means I can only purchase my bike at Halfords. Whilst I am all for supporting local businesses, I cannot turn down the nearly 50% saving. So feel funny about taking advantage of a LBS by testing bikes and then spending my money elsewhere.

So whilst road test sounds like the sensible idea, I might have to just bite the bullet and pick something?

garrilla

IF you have to go to Half*&%s then the Boardman Performance Hybrid Comp with Mudgards, rear panier, lights etc should be within your budget.

A good ride by all accounts.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
millypops82 said:
This site is fab. Obviously cyclists are a friendly bunch - can't believe people have replied already!

Is a tad personal question - but inside leg is 32.

Not that I want to start the Halfords v LBS debate again, however, my Cycle to Work scheme means I can only purchase my bike at Halfords. Whilst I am all for supporting local businesses, I cannot turn down the nearly 50% saving. So feel funny about taking advantage of a LBS by testing bikes and then spending my money elsewhere.

So whilst road test sounds like the sensible idea, I might have to just bite the bullet and pick something?

What about one of these: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_272633_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

OP
OP
M

millypops82

The carrera looks really nice but never ever ridden with dropped handle bars before.

I like the look of the Boardman, but would be tempted to upgrade.

I guess if it made all the difference, I could go full whack with the cycle to work scheme and go up to 1000, but would prefer to stay around the 600 mark with all accessories in.

Have a feeling I might be on cycle websites for hours now and still never work out which is the right bike!

millypops82 said:
The carrera looks really nice but never ever ridden with dropped handle bars before.

I like the look of the Boardman, but would be tempted to upgrade.

I guess if it made all the difference, I could go full whack with the cycle to work scheme and go up to 1000, but would prefer to stay around the 600 mark with all accessories in.

Have a feeling I might be on cycle websites for hours now and still never work out which is the right bike!
Hi millypops and welcome. I can't help out much with your selection quest, but I'd just like to confirm the bit in bold there. And be ready to get introduced to the idea of needing lots of bikes, rather than just one "the right bike" .. the forumula used is that you need n + 1 bikes where n is the number of bikes you have now. :biggrin:

Oh, and it will end up costing loads of money. It's fun though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought that Halfords could supply most bikes, even those it doesn't stock... can someone either correct or support that statement?

Which part of Bristol are you in?(Clifton? from your comment about hills - that could be any number in Clifton that I wouldn't want to cycle up!!) Evan's is in the centre and not really a LBS (from the point of view that I wouldn't feel guilty test riding a bike from there and then buying elsewhere), only problem being that its right in the centre when it comes to actually test riding the bike.

Welcome to CC and very wet Bristol too. I'm 5"6 with a 31.5" inside leg and take a M in a hybrid bike, but I don't have a dropped handlebar bike so I can't comment on that sizing.

jimboalee

Watch out regulars!!!

Don't fall into a trap.

A young lady beginner might want to tippie-toes the ground with both feet on an upright style bike, especially when the payload will be quite heavy.

A 32" inside leg tells me the frame should be a 52cm, but if it’s a step-through frame, a 50cm could be better. The seat can be taken lower so the Lady can put both feet down until she gains confidence to ride with the seat up and hop-off the seat when coming to a halt.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Surely 50 sounds a bit small - I thought about looking at another bike but guessed that I would be about 52-54? and I'm shorter than millypops82. And it doesn't say she wants a step through frame, I would have thought there would be more choice by going for a standard frame?

Top Bottom