Another Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome. Don't go for a step-through frame, they are an inherently weak shape and have to be built stronger and consequently heavier to compensate. Go for the proper 2 triangles frame, which is far stronger.

Buy a really good lock and some insurance. Somebody WILL try to steal your bike.

Don't be sensitive about discussing your measurements! People are only interested in helping you choose the correct size frame.

Don't go and fall in love with the first bike you try. Test ride a few and if the shop staff don't seem interested in setting them up correctly for you, move on.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
I thought that Halfords could supply most bikes, even those it doesn't stock... can someone either correct or support that statement?

You're right. Halfords will source you any bike. They'll also get you any accessories from the main suppliers.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi Millypops Im also new to cycling .If I could make a suggestion it would be not to rush out and spend a lot of dosh on a bike yet. Once you have ridden for a while your idea of the perfect bike may change and leave you with an expensive bike that possibly doesnt suit you.

Google on Jakes Bikes. Jake is a cycle mechanic in Bristol that sells secondhand bikes that he has serviced/checked over .His site also has lots of practical advice .

For about £100 -£200 you could pick up a decent secondhand hybrid and see how you get on with it.If you find it doesnt suit you wont lose to much on it.

The Bristol to Bath cycle track starts near Templemeads ,I think its 13 miles each way. Last time in Bristol i noticed a new cycle shop near the mud dock.

Have fun :-)

OP
OP
M

millypops82

Banjo said:
Hi Millypops Im also new to cycling .If I could make a suggestion it would be not to rush out and spend a lot of dosh on a bike yet. Once you have ridden for a while your idea of the perfect bike may change and leave you with an expensive bike that possibly doesnt suit you.

Google on Jakes Bikes. Jake is a cycle mechanic in Bristol that sells secondhand bikes that he has serviced/checked over .His site also has lots of practical advice .

For about £100 -£200 you could pick up a decent secondhand hybrid and see how you get on with it.If you find it doesnt suit you wont lose to much on it.

The Bristol to Bath cycle track starts near Templemeads ,I think its 13 miles each way. Last time in Bristol i noticed a new cycle shop near the mud dock.

Have fun :-)

I take you point Banjo but problem is the Cycle to Work Scheme closes for the year next Tuesday. So plan was to look at bikes on Saturday, work out what I want so I can therefore decide what voucher to buy and then - cycling here I come! I might as well spend £200 with the scheme (essentially giving me 400) rather than start with a second hander.

Oh the dilemna!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
millypops82 said:
I take you point Banjo but problem is the Cycle to Work Scheme closes for the year next Tuesday. So plan was to look at bikes on Saturday, work out what I want so I can therefore decide what voucher to buy and then - cycling here I come! I might as well spend £200 with the scheme (essentially giving me 400) rather than start with a second hander.

Oh the dilemna!

In that case you may as well get a new one.I am hoping the company I work for will run the scheme.Trouble is Im still not really sure which bike I would buy.My favourite changes daily:biggrin: I am tempted by one of the Specialized Sirrus range.

Randochap

Senior hunter
millypops82 said:
Is a tad personal question - but inside leg is 32.

When it comes to bike fitting, as personal as it may seem, it's the first question. It isn't the same answer you give to your tailor, though.

See here for all you need to know about choosing and fitting your new bike.

Incidentally, you should be able to get a fine bike in the price range you're considering.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Hi,

I'm a new-ish cycler in Bristol too. Well, I live towards the airport, but I commute in most days... sometimes even on the bike!

When I purchased my bike, I had no idea what sort I wanted. It's all very well people saying you should try out different bikes, but if you haven't as much as sat on one for 20 years, it's quite difficult to know what to look for.

In the end, I put my faith in the LBS. I just went in, told them how much I wanted to spend, and what I wanted to use the bike for. They recommended one, I sat on it to see what size I needed, job done.

I came out with a Hybrid (Specialized) on their recommendation, and I have to say I've been very pleased with it.

Incidentally, if you're new to Bristol, there are some excellent cycle routes around this part of the country. I would definitely recommend the one which goes along the river under the suspension bridge, on the opposite side than the Portway. It's only about 5 miles from Bristol to Pill, so it's a really easy ride. If you're in Clifton, you could just pop over the bridge and though Leigh Woods down to the path.

OP
OP
M

millypops82

Incidentally, you should be able to get a fine bike in the price range you're considering.[/quote]

Well, I now have a potential Bristol bike routes and a very useful guide to measuring. Just need to pick the fine bike you mention above! Who thought a foray into the world of cycling would be so hard. Will be worth it in the end I hope...!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well even if you get the cycling bug then you probably would like a second bike anyway eventually - and you can always sell the bike at the end of the year. At the price you are talking about, it won't be awful, if you get a bike that fit's you.

You do need to sit on them though to get the feel of the sizing which varies slightly from brand to brand (well I think it does).

And the council has a series of maps including one which shows all the bike shops on too. You can usually pick them up in bike shops (in Evan's they are just as you go in the door), council buildings and libraries.

And to all the Bristolites (+North Somerset, South Glos and BANES) ... it is coming up to Jam Busting June time... though I'm going to have to re-register as I've changed my email address since last year.

https://www.jambustingjune.com/

jimboalee

P210409_1455.jpg

I have just what you need.

A 20.5" ladies step-through Batavus 'City bike'.

£15

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
adds21 said:
Thanks for that link. I hadn't heard of it before.

I work for BCC and I've never heard of it through work (but I have told other work colleagues about it)... I think it isn't very well promoted.

Top Bottom