Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Isn't it less bad for a yobbo to buy a silly film prop than a kitchen knife which would be a genuine lethal weapon?

In any case how does making it more expensive for me to buy good quality knives help anyone?

I can't even buy or sell knives on ebay any more.

The heavy stylised blades are a lot more than a film prop, although I imagine they aren't the finest example of the knifemaker's craft.

Not sure how any regulation makes a legitimate knife purchase more expensive for you.

has a maximum continuous rated power which does not exceed 250 watts;”;

The key word there is 'continuous', which is also why I used the term 'peak'.

All motors behave in this way, and as I said, you can't legislate against what Michael Faraday found to be true.

I believe you like your electric car.

Does it have a 'turbo' or 'boost' function?

Some do, usually for no more than 10secs.

That feature is using precisely the same properties of a continuous and a much higher peak output.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The key word there is 'continuous', which is also why I used the term 'peak'.

All motors behave in this way, and as I said, you can't legislate against what Michael Faraday found to be true.

I believe you like your electric car.

Does it have a 'turbo' or 'boost' function?

Some do, usually for no more than 10secs.

That feature is using precisely the same properties of a continuous and a much higher peak output.

Just to be clear, I was using your post as a prompt, not to refute your words. I agree with your position. As it happens my EV does not have a boost mode (maybe it needs a turbo?).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not sure how any regulation makes a legitimate knife purchase more expensive for you.

Having some kind of age verification upon delivery is going to be a chargeable service by the shipping companies - extra fiver, maybe a tenner given they can no longer hand something to a neighbour or hide it somewhere, or even stuff it through letter box. And an overseas purchase (eg some nice
Sabattiers from Thiers) where the customs presumably then have to instigate this special age checked shipment - that's either £50 or just too hard. And what about wood chisels - showing your grey hair in a shop is no issue, but mail order ?

And to what end ? There are already knives in every kitchen in the country

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suggest you take them up with the Government then. All statements were taken from the gov EAPC page.

The legislation is regarded by the ebike industry as poorly drafted.

I'm no electrical engineer, but if you wanted a nailed on peak power of 250w, it ought to be possible to design it.

Neither am I lawyer, but specifying a peak power of 250w in the regulations also ought to be possible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Having some kind of age verification upon delivery is going to be a chargeable service by the shipping companies - extra fiver, maybe a tenner given they can no longer hand something to a neighbour or hide it somewhere, or even stuff it through letter box. And an overseas purchase (eg some nice
Sabattiers from Thiers) where the customs presumably then have to instigate this special age checked shipment - that's either £50 or just too hard. And what about wood chisels - showing your grey hair in a shop is no issue, but mail order ?

And to what end ? There are already knives in every kitchen in the country

I think we may have our wires (or swords) crossed.

As I remarked earlier, the 16 age limit is all but impossible police online.

I didn't suggest a solution to that, not least because I couldn't think of a viable one.

That's about the total of my knowledge of the subject, having never bought a knife online, and not having bought a knife of any sort for years.

Sharpen what you have is my policy.

Alex321

Veteran
I suggest you take them up with the Government then. All statements were taken from the gov EAPC page.

Yes, but tat is a very simplified version of what the regulations actually say.

In the case of the power limit, that page has missed out the word "continuous" which makes a big difference.

DRM

Guru
https://news.sky.com/story/e-bikes-must-have-number-plates-and-insurance-mp-says-12900331
More utter drivel and none sense from someone clearly in the wrong job, Ian Stewart & Greg Smith from the commons transport select committee, claiming E Bikes should be registered and taxed like other vehicles after latest deaths, do these twerps have no comprehension that these thing are motorbikes and as such under current law should be taxed, insured, & MOT’d when applicable, ye gods words fail me.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
https://news.sky.com/story/e-bikes-must-have-number-plates-and-insurance-mp-says-12900331
More utter drivel and none sense from someone clearly in the wrong job, Ian Stewart & Greg Smith from the commons transport select committee, claiming E Bikes should be registered and taxed like other vehicles after latest deaths, do these twerps have no comprehension that these thing are motorbikes and as such under current law should be taxed, insured, & MOT’d when applicable, ye gods words fail me.

Also references Italy and Salvini's statement that he has now rowed back on.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Saw another one yesterday. Twist grip, huge fat tyres, about 25mph on a psyclepath. They need seizing and crushing - it's just like riding a motorbike on the pavement.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've plenty of idiot lads on pedal bikes, never mind getting on one of these fast electric motorbikes.

Had a couple of them riding towards traffic on the wrong side of the road at rush hour, whilst pulling wheelies. Needless to say one actually got hit by a car turning left onto the road, didn't expect a bike on the wrong side. Only glanced the lad but he pedalled off.

Top Bottom