Another legal lights topic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I think the police have got more pressing things to deal with than pulling over Joe blogs on his bike with some offensive Chinese lights bolted to his bike.There under so much pressure with policing shortages. With the constant problems they face with non insured drivers , accidents to attend ect I think the very worst a cyclist would get from a police officer is some good advice about how offensive his / her lights are. Even if it was referred to court it would most probably get dismissed with a ticking off from the judge. I cant remember the last time i saw a police man or police car where I live to be honest.
Except in Australia, where it's considered perfectly acceptable to use police resources to fine cyclists ridiculously high amounts for not wearing a helmet, or not having a bell on their bike, or riding "dangerously". :rolleyes:

Tim Hall

I once bought a bracket from SJS (I think) made by B&M that allowed lights designed to fit on the handlebars to be mounted to the fork crown. Plastic, but quite substantial.
B&M do a (mostly) metal one for fork crown use. I have an Ixon Pure battery powered light on it.
1471542_1.jpg

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I don't know. I reckon each and every thing needs to be brought to people's notice.
Yebbut given that the Five-Oh aren't exactly cracking down on those that buy a Pocket Sirius off of eBay and strap it to their bike, I don't think it's going to matter much.

Ajax Bay

Guru
where the hell do you attach lights to if you have a pannier rack and have up and over luggage when the seat post or seat stays can't be seen?
I know I could get a light with built in reflector for the back of the rack but that would be another expense.
Also, I have top bar brake levers on my drop handlebars so no room for lights.
Rear light. I took a reflector bracket (you know, the ones they have to fit on new bikes and that often get taken off) and and bolted one end to the underside of the rack and the other end took a clip-in mount for a 5led bar Cateye. This meant that when I had to cover the saddlebag (in rain) I still had one good rear light showing. The One23 'flying saucer' shaped light on the seatstay (see picture) was not a success.
Front light: Faced with handlebar congestion problems (like the OP) I strapped a Magicshine MJ808 on the left fork (wired to its battery slung below the top tube). The '1000 lumen' (ho, ho, option of full or 1/3 strength, or flashing) beam was low (so it didn't shine in oncomers' eyes) and threw a long ellipse pattern with its centre on the near verge/road side white line. Slight shadow from the front rim but the angle meant it could be seen by vehicles from a more than sufficient distance and the beam angle/pattern gave excellent illumination for fast night riding (audax).

Attachments

• Cycle Load Carriage.JPG
    Cycle Load Carriage.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Speaking of legal lighting, Has anyone ever considered the £700 RRP 6000 Lumen Cateye Volt 6000?

When you get bored of burning out peoples retinas & taking down police choppers with it you can use it to signal the batman.

For the front a bar extender mount on the stem.

View attachment 145648

Beware:

There are Space Grips that have a solid bolt through thr tube into the extension - these are brilliant

minoura-sg1-space-grip-bar-extension-120mm-00105942-9999-1.jpg

This looks like the "Swing Grip" In this case the tube fis to a small tab that is already bent through 90 degrees. This tab is made of cheese that will break off fairly quickly and dump ypu lights under the folowing car's wheels

minoura%20swing%20grip%20black.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Beware:

There are Space Grips that have a solid bolt through thr tube into the extension - these are brilliant

minoura-sg1-space-grip-bar-extension-120mm-00105942-9999-1.jpg

This looks like the "Swing Grip" In this case the tube fis to a small tab that is already bent through 90 degrees. This tab is made of cheese that will break off fairly quickly and dump ypu lights under the folowing car's wheels

minoura%20swing%20grip%20black.jpg

I've used these in the past, a good solution for handlebar congestion.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
A mate has one for technical offroad at night. Bloody good light for his purposes, although not really better than my Hope R8 at half the cost.

I was thinking that myself. Even if you're riding a trail at night you can get a more then adequate setup for half the price. The RRP is just stupid. I see the volt 6000 as nothing but a proof of concept to see how powerful of an LED they could shove in a bicycle light

Top Bottom