another nail in the coffin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I reckon Verbruggen must have been one the sauce when he said that, or just panicking and loosing the plot. I'd like a psychiatrist to unpick his statement because I reckon you'll find fear amongst other things... or perhaps it's another carefully coded, PR drafted confession that I'm just not seeing.

But check out this article from Velonews

The above referring to the alleged UCI cover-up of alleged Armstrong positive tests that L'Equipe reported.... then check out the date of the article.

The 'evidence' has clearly been around for a long time and has been persuasive enough to convince those of us who have read around.

Believers can google Michael Ashenden too for some more 'proof'.

A link from that article gives this nice little piece from a former USPS rider, Yello

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...rider-says-hamiltons-charges-ring-true_174876

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I eagerly await a clarifying UCI statement! :laugh:
how long have you got?

yello

I really like this quote, from the article Rich linked to...

I don’t hold any grudges,” Mercier said about his time in professional cycling. “I look at what those guys did, and I don’t imagine they feel good or proud about it. But they took things away from guys like myself, and Darren Baker. I suppose we weren’t ‘professional’ enough. We weren’t into winning at all costs. And the cost to me was my integrity, I wasn’t going to give that up.

I particularly like the bit I put in bold. Drug cheats cheat their fellow athletes. No athlete should have to take the decision to dope or not to succeed. Or decide to give up because there's no way to compete without doping. It's not what sport ought be about.

Mac66

In the final analysis, what can actual be proved, what evidence against Armstrong is there. If its just going to boil down to their word against Lance's then that's not going to cut it and nor is circumstancial eveidence.

Even if they produce the Swiss lab report that says indicative of EPO use, I really don't think that is enough by itself? I fear this is just going to turn into a big swirling mess of inconclusive claim and counterclaim, which will make lawyers very rich but I doubt justice will be served.

yello

If its just going to boil down to their word against Lance's then that's not going to cut it

Several years ago, I might have agreed with you. This time around however, there is quite a lot of people with a word to say against Armstrong. And the USFDA to collate it all and present it. Armstrong's going down I tell ya!

raindog

er.....
Hincapie doesn't have to go public, he's given evidence under oath to the federal investigation. It's not his fault that information was leaked.

EDIT
wow - just noticed I've gone over a thousand posts here. Do I get a T shirt or anything? :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As raindog says, Hincapie has testified to Novitsky but refuses to say what he said while due process (say it in an American accent please) is going on. The rumour is that he's dished the dirt but we'll have to wait and see. He'll have told the truth, given the severe penalties alluded to above for perjury.
Bear in mind that if he confesses to seeing LA dope, he will also be incriminating himself, so he is effectively ending his career by doing so.

As raindog says, Hincapie has testified to Novitsky but refuses to say what he said while due process (say it in an American accent please) is going on. The rumour is that he's dished the dirt but we'll have to wait and see. He'll have told the truth, given the severe penalties alluded to above for perjury.
Bear in mind that if he confesses to seeing LA dope, he will also be incriminating himself, so he is effectively ending his career by doing so.

Given the choice between ending my cycling career and risking getting banged up in a small cell with a 350lb red neck who wants you to wear a floral dress and calls you Dolly, I'd dish the dirt by the shovel load!

Top Bottom