Any coppers on here? Is my hi-viz legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a biggie. As with many offences it comes down to intent,or mens rea.

There is no offence of wearing it per se. However, if your intent is that someone may mistake you for a police officer (and presumably not cut you up) then "by word or deed" you are impersonating a police officer and commiting and offence.

So the legality hinges on how carefully you answer if anyone should ask you.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're blue and grey on the general duties waterproof blouson currently hanging on the back of the chair in my study at home (study and not junk room, cos I'm posh like)

classic33

Leg End Member
Bought off the internet, was my answer when stopped & questions were asked from where it had been obtained. No names taken, but one of the two did want one for himself.

Motorcyclist seen Saturday with POLICE (wannabe underneath) on the back of his hi-vis jacket.

Drago

Legendary Member
As a police cyclist who teaches other EMS cyclists, I can tell you that drivers don't treat you any better when wearing a real police uniform, so it's wasted money in that sense. The monent I'm off duty I revert to my own plain hi vis kit for the journey home.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought my wife one of those 'polite' hi viz for horse riding & she says it does seem to slow drivers down more, however they were featured on a watchdog type programme a while ago & they are made overseas & do not comply with uk/eu hi viz standards, so for the £25 or whatever it costs, I wouldnt recommend it

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Besides, your tattoos are worth a thousand hiviz coats, Ian.

GrasB

Veteran
WRT UK/EU standards. Just because it doesn't confirm to some arbitrary standard doesn't mean that it isn't any good. Take my rear lights, the ones that people actually see don't conform to any UK or EU standard.:wacko:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
That's a biggie. As with many offences it comes down to intent,or mens rea.

There is no offence of wearing it per se. However, if your intent is that someone may mistake you for a police officer (and presumably not cut you up) then "by word or deed" you are impersonating a police officer and commiting and offence.

So the legality hinges on how carefully you answer if anyone should ask you.
So technically speaking is it legal to dress completely in police uniform in public if it is not your intention to deceive? Perhaps I'm on my way to a fancy dress party. (This is entirely academic. I have no intention of dressing up as a policeman except perhaps for the "polite" hi vis and even then probably not.)

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Where can I get one? I'd like to test Dragos assertion that drivers don't treat you any better.
In my experience, there is not a shadow of a doubt that drivers slow down and give extra room when overtaking. Some will even indicate left when they've finished overtaking.

Top Bottom