Any-one know good treatment for sore/tender a"*e after long rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
After any ride over, say, 30 miles my poor old bum suffers for days. If I do, say 50, then I am sore for perhaps 5 days.
The soreness is in the bones or maybe the flesh.........which-ever it is...it is tender to the touch. I imagine there is internal bruising.
No chaffing....just tenderness
I've paid for a bike fit and tried several different saddles. This has helped a bit.
I wear decent (Funkier) padded shorts.
I am 68 and just got back into cycling this year so.......at my age I expect the bones are not as elastic so I will suffer while I get used to it.
So................
Does anyone know of a good treatment ?? (don't sugget a bath of ice :smile: )
As a 'for instance'.......I am rubbing Arnicare cream in (specifically for bruising).
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice pack for inflammation, heat (try a hot bath) to soothe, anti inflammatories?

Id try better shorts than Funkier, unless top of the range. Look for some shorts that start off at £70-100, buy when reduced. Do your shorts have thick or minimal padding, are you sitting properly on yen saddle, do you lift off from time to time

It may be that you have raised your sit bones, if you have none bruising and you continue to ride, it won't necessarily have time to recover (bad bone bruising can actually take a year plus to recover as I was told when I injured my knee)

Have you seen a doctor, serious suggestion?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ice pack for inflammation, heat (try a hot bath) to soothe, anti inflammatories?

Id try better shorts than Funkier, unless top of the range. Look for some shorts that start off at £70-100, buy when reduced. Do your shorts have thick or minimal padding, are you sitting properly on yen saddle, do you lift off from time to time

It may be that you have raised your sit bones, if you have none bruising and you continue to ride, it won't necessarily have time to recover (bad bone bruising can actually take a year plus to recover as I was told when I injured my knee)

Have you seen a doctor, serious suggestion?
In order.................
I am looking for some better shorts.........think these cost me short of £40 a few years ago.
Think I'm sitting properly..........as I say, I've just paid for a 'bike fit' to try and sort the problem.
Yes..........I lift off as often as realisticly possibly. I also, yesterday, made sure I had 3 good breaks during the 55 miler.
Not even though of seeing a doctor...........not sure I would want one inspecting my rear-end :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say you should look at more expensive shorts or at least new ones as the pads get flattened with use, so they may well not be as padded as they once were!

At your age, some level of wear and tear to the bony structures is to be expected, I'd discuss with a doctor, see if you need a pelvic x ray etc. I am sure most doctors have seen worse ;). Try looking at some dermatology images!

spiderman2

Über Member
You dont say what saddle you have.I went to the specialized bike shop got measured and they recommended a firmer saddle.
I wear Endura boxers and Eundra trousers and I can do 80 miles without discomfort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You dont say what saddle you have.I went to the specialized bike shop got measured and they recommended a firmer saddle.
I wear Endura boxers and Eundra trousers and I can do 80 miles without discomfort.
After a bike fit I changed to a Sella Ittalia Gel Flight..............it has helped a lot but not cured it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The one thing I can't see you mention is the use of chamois cream; a good one makes a lot of difference.
I am no expert but............I get absolutely no chaffing. Just the painful sit bones. How would chamois cream help that ??

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Is the pain on you sit bones or coxyx? I find I need a firm saddle with a rear relief channel on an upright bike otherwise my coxyx is painful. On my road bike, leant forward, its not an issue. For me it was about the correct fitting saddle and some miles on it to toughen up my bum! I also run with a level saddle, parrellel to the ground. I'm considering a recumbent also! Good luck :bicycle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I diagnose wrong saddle or poor adjustment. Shouldn't need lotions or potions on modest distances (albeit respectable and more than I can do these days). Shouldn't even need cycle shorts - though these are still a good thing here.

Fix saddle and / or position first. For me it was a Brooks but that's me. In my case I had utterly cripling pain in the nerve between my arse crack and dick on 30 mile - Brooks B17 solved it for me. Cycle shorts were 20 years later.

buggi

Bird Saviour
You say you've paid for a bike fit but have you actually had your pelvic bones measured before buying a new saddle? Two different things. I found it made a massive difference.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is the pain on you sit bones or coxyx? I find I need a firm saddle with a rear relief channel on an upright bike otherwise my coxyx is painful. On my road bike, leant forward, its not an issue. For me it was about the correct fitting saddle and some miles on it to toughen up my bum! I also run with a level saddle parrellel to the ground. I'm considering a recumbent also! Good luck :bicycle:
The inside of the sit bones.
Saddle is now level...........I have tried it "up" a few degrees but now back to level.

Top Bottom