Please help me fix my bum.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm in urgent need of advice. I have a sore bum. I've been riding a bit for a few years so I ( and it) should have got immune to this embarrassing affliction, but last Friday I rode 55 miles or so to Brighton with some of The Usual Suspects. A lovely night out. The problem was that it was a very warm night, and I made the mistake of wearing a pair of thermals next to my skin beneath my padded bib longs.

:stop:( Read no further if you are of a delicate persuasion):stop:

It seems that sweat and a raised seam on the thermals started gnawing its way into that sensitive piece of flesh where the top of your inner thigh meets the bottom of a buttock. It seemed OK on Sunday when I went for a gentle pootle round The Park, but it felt really raw on my commute today, although not infected.. Modesty prevents me posting a photo, but enthusiasts may contact me by PM. (Large SAE, and a postal order for twenty one pounds excluding VAT, please)
Anyway, what should I do? I don't want to stop riding but would prefer to put some kind of wonder-gunk on it. The question is, which one?

Thank you.

Drago

Legendary Member
Savlon. Soothes, prevent it getting infected.

MikeW-71

Veteran
^^ that.

I had the same once from my usual comfy shorts. I hadn't got them on just right and they were rubbing. Should have stopped and sorted it, but 80 miles later :rolleyes: it was really painful and rubbed raw.

Savlon, a few days off the bike and looser underwear sorted it out.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Have a shower/bath when you get in and, once thoroughly dr, dab some witch hazel on with a cotton ball. That should help to dry it out and toughen it up, I'd repeat after every shower/bath where you aren't intending to ride in the near future. For riding I would just use some sort of cream, I like Udderley Smooth myself

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Have a shower/bath when you get in and, once thoroughly dr, dab some witch hazel on with a cotton ball. That should help to dry it out and toughen it up, I'd repeat after every shower/bath where you aren't intending to ride in the near future. For riding I would just use some sort of cream, I like Udderley Smooth myself
I don't think it's a question of building up "toughness", more that the old leather has been sawn through!:eek:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm in urgent need of advice. I have a sore bum. I've been riding a bit for a few years so I ( and it) should have got immune to this embarrassing affliction, but last Friday I rode 55 miles or so to Brighton with some of The Usual Suspects. A lovely night out. The problem was that it was a very warm night, and I made the mistake of wearing a pair of thermals next to my skin beneath my padded bib longs.

:stop:( Read no further if you are of a delicate persuasion):stop:

It seems that sweat and a raised seam on the thermals started gnawing its way into that sensitive piece of flesh where the top of your inner thigh meets the bottom of a buttock. It seemed OK on Sunday when I went for a gentle pootle round The Park, but it felt really raw on my commute today, although not infected.. Modesty prevents me posting a photo, but enthusiasts may contact me by PM. (Large SAE, and a postal order for twenty one pounds excluding VAT, please)
Anyway, what should I do? I don't want to stop riding but would prefer to put some kind of wonder-gunk on it. The question is, which one?

Thank you.
Ouch!
I had pair of undershorts that if I wore over a certain distance, left a nasty sore! (due to a seam) - also in the same place as yours.
I use Udderly Smooth cream on all my rides and after a shower or bath, put sudocreme on the sore part.
I also have Germolene cream which is just as good IMO.
Needless to say I have now binned them!
I hope it heals soon :hugs:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Have a word with @PaulB he is trialling a medical barrier cream as a chamois cream. Sure it would be very good for that sort of situation.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Got back from two weeks' recumbent drinking in Greece on Saturday- Sunday I did the 47 mile Mary Towneley Loop on the mountain bike.

Apart from me legs being utterly shredded it felt as though someone had taken a cheesegrater to my nethers.

Not fun at all. Some chamois cream for me next time!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I once bought a tub of Assos stuff then realised that it was an expensive version of other creams. Sudocrem is my choice now. Sorry to disagree with other posts but during the winter months I'll wear running trousers underneath bib shorts with no issues, even on 80-100 mile rides.

Top Bottom