are 25mm tyres deeper than 23mm as well as wider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just bear in mind that some 25s are not (ie not 25) and nor are some 28s but it's likely that in one make/model the 25s will be deeper and wider than the 23s.

For example the Conti 4S 28s are actually only 26 and I've read that the 25s are less than 24 ie when measured on (say) a 15mm rim at 90 psi. Also be aware that heavy duty jobs like Schwalbe Marathon Plus are extra deep (+~5mm in a 28 cf other makes) as they have to allow for the drawing pin test layer. As I discovered to my cost at 7pm on Day 4 of LEJOG (near Lancaster). Result: one discarded rear mudguard; and press on.

boydj

Legendary Member
If there's room for a 23mm tyre under the mudguard, then it's likely that a bit of judicious fiddling will get a 25mm tyre in there.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
If there's room for a 23mm tyre under the mudguard, then it's likely that a bit of judicious fiddling will get a 25mm tyre in there.
With a bit of "judicious fiddling" I got 25mm some Giant PS-L1 tyres on my Defy 1 with Crudracer mudguards. They're tight but they don't rub.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
With a bit of "judicious fiddling" I got 25mm some Giant PS-L1 tyres on my Defy 1 with Crudracer mudguards. They're tight but they don't rub.
Trouble is they probably will once the tyres pick up a bit mud and it builds up on the mudguard.
Helpful tip .... carry a tea-spoon with you - ideal for scraping off the deposited muck from the inside of the guards.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Trouble is they probably will once the tyres pick up a bit mud and it builds up on the mudguard.
Helpful tip .... carry a tea-spoon with you - ideal for scraping off the deposited muck from the inside of the guards.
So far, so good. I've done a few hundred miles with them and they've seen some pretty filthy country lanes. Had the odd scraping sound and the occasional leaf wedged in there. Cheers for the spoon tip!

Top Bottom