Are My Tyres Dodgy, Please Advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I was looking at my tyres today and I am really not sure about them. They look to be very slightly splitting where the coloured bands join the black centre band. The pictures maybe make it look worse than it actually is. The tyres were not cheap and I think they have done around 600 miles. I am not sure how long tyres are supposed to last or if this is a fault. They are Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp folding tyres.

Front tyre. It has numerous other parts like this.
DSC04977_zps061d248d.jpg

Rear tyre, more worn. Again has numerous other areas like this.
DSC04978_zps2fc2f668.jpg

I expected longer than this if they are farked. Still I am fairly new to cycling and I inflate them to 110 psig so do not want them to fail.

Peteaud

Veteran
For me they are on the way out.

The small cracks are just that, but the bigger ones are worrying.

Then thats me, safe rather than sorry.

Canrider

Guru
They look quite worn for only 600 miles.

The splitting leads me to ask whether you store the bike outside? In the wintertime? I pulled an old singlespeed project out of the shed this week and one tyre was splitting that way, but it had been in the cellar and the shed unused for ~4 years.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

For me they are on the way out.

The small cracks are just that, but the bigger ones are worrying.

Then thats me, safe rather than sorry.

I agree Pete thanks. I am not spending this much again as these have been pretty poor. I have read good things on here about Vittoria Rubino tyres, they are more fitting to my budget and ability.

They look quite worn for only 600 miles.

The splitting leads me to ask whether you store the bike outside? In the wintertime? I pulled an old singlespeed project out of the shed this week and one tyre was splitting that way, but it had been in the cellar and the shed unused for ~4 years.

No the bike has always been kept in a shed, a pretty crap one, and for the last 6 months a garage. They could of done more than 600 miles but not much more as I replaced the tyres when I upgraded the wheels, maybe 800 miles max. Maybe they are soft compound or something, I certainly will not be buying anymore.

VamP

Banned
That's really worn for 600 miles :eek:

I currently ride Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, and at 2,200 miles the rear is starting to show signs of wear, but nowhere near as bad as this. Haven't punctured at all in that time either. I got them for performance reasons, and am really surprised at the durability.

That rear tyre does look worn indeed; I'd continue to run it though if you are not getting an abnormal amount of p'tures. And then consider a replacement. Cost/ rolling/ grip/ wear/ p'ture protection are usually the elements to consider for a tyre; on that front I've found the Mitch Kyrlion Carbons to offer the best all round, there a bit hard to get hold of so my current choice of tyre is a Mitch Pro 4 Endurance (the successor). Other tyres roll/ grip slightly better (not by much IME) but cost a lot more and are less durable. Similarly other tyres (eg. marathons) have better p'ture protection but are weighty and roll less well and may also cost more.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

They do look worn, but what put me off buying Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's recently was someone on this site saying they only got 700 miles out of them as they were 'performance racing tyres'. Do yours fit into this bracket?

My recommendation would be Continental GP4000S.

They could fall into that category as they were not cheap. I just purchased them on looks and because I read that they were a really good tyre. I never bothered thinking about the wear rates. I will the next pair though, stuff that.

Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blimey. If that really is 600 miles, that's terrible. I'd complain to the manufacturers. See what they have to say for themselves. That's not wear & tear, that looks like structural failure to me.

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Blimey. If that really is 600 miles, that's terrible. I'd complain to the manufacturers. See what they have to say for themselves. That's not wear & tear, that looks like structural failure to me.

I got them off Ebay, I am sure that it was a trusted seller. But cannot be sure so maybe they were rejects or something. Also I have had them for nearly 2 years, they have done so little mileage as it is my best bike and I have also had a knee operation. So I think it is hard to prove that they have done so little mileage.

Last time when I had a Michelin City tyre blow out after even less miles on my commuting bike when the beading came away from the tyre, I contacted Michelin about my safety concerns and never got a reply. Whether Vredestein are as shoot a company I do not know. With the Michelin's CRC gave me a full refund for both tyres when I explained my concerns over them and I did not even have to return the tyres. So I vowed never to buy Michelin tyres and now I can add Vredestein to that list.

I have ordered some Vittoria Rubino's from CRC as I know they offer very good support from my past experiences, if it is ever needed.

Top Bottom