Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I expect it's because there are too many criminals already in the system for it to cope, prisons are full, besides it costs too much to look after them while they are inside, so it's an economic balance in favour of the serial criminals. The burden of proof is unbelieveable. A known vandal with 3 friends caused many thousands of pounds of damage in the village, was videoed running from the scene on the CCTV + laughing at the camera, and picked up 15 minutes later, but because the police couldn't rely on the CCTV evidence he wasn't even charged. [Edit: CP's got it in one].

J.Primus

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

J.Primus

Having watched the video for the first time (no youtube at work but the Mails player works) he's pretty brave for a short fat bloke isn't he? I can't believe he would do that if he thought there was any chance someone would fight back in the state he's in.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
All those newspaper reports leave out the fact that the driver denied it at first and claimed BCS kicked his van.
I wonder what the insurance and tax office will make of the company van being driven by someone who is "not an employee" ?

Recycle

Über Member
I'm more fussed that none of the newspapers commented on the fact that what probably provoked the the van driver was the cyclists road positioning, which was as prescribed by DfT bikeability training. i.e., he was assaulted for cycling the way the authorities want him to cycle.

That's not a criticism of Bikeability or John Franklin's methods, it just highlights a real problem in driver training and attitudes.

swansonj

Guru
I think the Mail must have had a dilemma with what angle to take on this story: uppity cyclists terrorising innocent citizens, or police going soft on crime? They've chosen police going soft on crime for the time being, but they've slipped in that reference to other videos resulting in confrontations, and those snide reference to aliases suggesting Mr Perrin is inherently untrustworthy, to give themselves a hook for another story on the cyclists seeking out trouble angle.

visitors.jpg

The cyclist's blog, visitor numbers shooting up after the Grauniad and Mail articles, the clip also featured on the petrol-head forum Pistonheads.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&nmt=Cyclist+vs+White+Van+Man+Twitter+Scandal

J.Primus

I love it how there's always someone saying "well there's always two sides to every story". No there isn't. Sometimes people are just violent and have a low intelligence and short fuse. When some pensioner gets beaten up for their purse you don't get people asking what she had done to bring the beating onto herself!

Recycle

Über Member
The cyclist's blog, visitor numbers shooting up after the Grauniad and Mail articles, the clip also featured on the petrol-head forum Pistonheads.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1278471&mid=0&nmt=Cyclist vs White Van Man Twitter Scandal
Read the comments in the pistonheads forum and it illustrates what I said about the road positioning provoking the road rage.

There is real ignorance about this and something needs to be done about educating some of the motoring fraternity because it doesn't help having training and recommended cycling practice intended to protect you against one type of risk if it exposes you to another, namely assault.

I doubt if you will find many regular cyclist's who haven't experienced some type of abuse for avoiding the door zone because a motorist thinks they are being deliberately obstructive.

They completely miss the fact that the road usually has enough space to accommodate bike and car traffic but can no longer do so because road width has been compromised by on-street parking. The problem to their progress isn't obstructive cyclists, it's where they leave their bloody cars.

Top Bottom