Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Pretty much agree with most of your post, "if it works" I am not entirely sure is does work I do not think the cycling community is coming out of this smelling of roses either.

and in turn I would agree with you and have the same reservations but I can also see this as a path to something that could work. It's early days but name and shame, with emphasis on the shame, is a powerful tool. If you consider the larger picture then many of the ills we currently perceive in the world are facilitated by anonymity or excusable/plausible deniability. Scapegoating to send a message is a well established tactic and recognises that you could never tackle every individual. Having empathy with those few that are the scapegoats is perfectly understandable and I would say reconfirms our own humanity, or at least it does for me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two things: first, my hackles rise when people start talking about 'the cycling community', as though everyone on a bike is automatically part of this amorphous collective, so that, eg, I must share responsibility for cretins persecuting someone running a company with a similar name at the opposite end of the country. We're not, and I don't. And second, before we get too carried away with the mea culpas and isn't it awful how this thing's gone out of proportion, let's not forget, this guy isn't 'a scapegoat', which is to say, an innocent party selected to take one for the team, he's a nasty piece of work who chased down and beat up on a stranger for no good reason. (And, moreover, his wife is a liar. She may be a victim of her nasty piece of work husband, we don't know. What we do know is she tried to evade her involvement by claiming this guy was a stranger, when in fact he is her hubby.)

(What we do know is she tried to evade her involvement by claiming this guy was a stranger, when in fact he is her hubby.)

We can't even be sure of that. We don't know who has access to the business web & mail accounts. If hubby has access to her account, he could be writing those things as if he was her. Certainly she has some involvement, but we can't say what or how much.

Sara_H

Guru
It will not appear on his criminal record, although the crime is recorded(somewhere else).
http://www.communityresolution.co.uk/how-community-resolution-works
So next time he assaults someone, it will be assumed that he has no previous.

I'm sorry to say, I don't think local resolution has any place in dealing with violent assault. When I googled it, the examples given of typical uses were minor delinquency (14 year old tramples flowerbed was one example.).

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Two things: first, my hackles rise when people start talking about 'the cycling community'
Glad you picked up on that, I agree with you but I am afraid we all get lumped together by the non cycling public, it was exactly my point about how I think it hinders the perception of people who cycle even further.

BSRU

A Human Being
So next time he assaults someone, it will be assumed that he has no previous.

I'm sorry to say, I don't think local resolution has any place in dealing with violent assault. When I googled it, the examples given of typical uses were minor delinquency (14 year old tramples flowerbed was one example.).
I agree, the document I linked to states it should be used for:-
"such as trivial thefts, public disorder, criminal damage (such as vandalism), and inconsequential assaults"

No idea what an "inconsequential assault" is defined as.

J.Primus

Two things: first, my hackles rise when people start talking about 'the cycling community', as though everyone on a bike is automatically part of this amorphous collective, so that, eg, I must share responsibility for cretins persecuting someone running a company with a similar name at the opposite end of the country. We're not, and I don't. And second, before we get too carried away with the mea culpas and isn't it awful how this thing's gone out of proportion, let's not forget, this guy isn't 'a scapegoat', which is to say, an innocent party selected to take one for the team, he's a nasty piece of work who chased down and beat up on a stranger for no good reason. (And, moreover, his wife is a liar. She may be a victim of her nasty piece of work husband, we don't know. What we do know is she tried to evade her involvement by claiming this guy was a stranger, when in fact he is her hubby.)

He's only as much of a victim as those people who get caught racially abusing people on public transport.

What's more the complete lack of the road ragers getting filled in by a cyclist would suggest that most of them seem to be cowards who pick their targets. My sister rides in a very similar fashion to me and has had people pull over and threaten her more than once. I'm big and hairy can be a bit mean looking and not once in 3 years in London has anyone ever threatened me!

I think it's quite interesting to see the internet filling the void left by communities becoming less local and more atomised. Previously as well as the law the thing that would stop this kind of behavior by a local business owner is that everyone would know about it in his local community and he might well be shunned socially which would obviously suck.

I think there is a lot to be said for the kind of thing that happened with this guy, other motorists may well have heard about it and now they would have something else to consider as well as the law if they want behave this way. I bet originally he thought he had nicely got away with it. Now I would imagine he genuinely wouldn't have done it if he could go back in time and be in the same situation.

I think there is a lot to be said for the kind of thing that happened with this guy, other motorists may well have heard about it and now they would have something else to consider as well as the law if they want behave this way. I bet originally he thought he had nicely got away with it. Now I would imagine he genuinely wouldn't have done it if he could go back in time and be in the same situation.

Exactly, the more drivers who realise there may well be adverse consequences if they threaten or assault vulnerable road users the better.

I agree, the document I linked to states it should be used for:-
"such as trivial thefts, public disorder, criminal damage (such as vandalism), and inconsequential assaults"

Two eleven year old schoolboys having a scrap in the school playground, with no injuries was an example I remember from training.

Having seen the video, I don't think it's what they had in mind...

Kookas

Über Member
I saw a cop car outside the shop on the way home today - wonder if they have police protection because of all the death threats?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Exactly, the more drivers who realise there may well be adverse consequences if they threaten or assault vulnerable road users the better.

Except there wasn't really much in the way of adverse consequences.
They may well look at the video and think they can pretty much get away with behaviour like this.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I suspect it was something like when a pupil at school pick up a stack of three plates and aimed them at a girl, hurled them and they missed her and hit me on the side of the head shattering in the process. Despite when asked by the police if I wanted charges pressed and I said 'Yes and show no mercy, the boy is a danger', he ended up with the instruction to write me a letter of apology and was back in school a fortnight later.

I was hacked off but against that my stock amongst the toughies hit new peaks.

'Plates shattering on your head and you were still standing? Respect!'

The boy is still at large in the community peddling drugs and videoing reprehensible acts and maintains an unblemished criminal record. Someone will come to harm at his hands.

Top Bottom