Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Filming in a public place is perfectly legal. Getting out of a car and hitting someone is not legal, and it's no use whining and snivelling about the footage being aired after the fact. You can avoid notoriety on the internet by restraining from putting cats in bins, punching horses or engaging with your fists on other road users.

This driver hold the police in such contempt he lies to them. His wife's also a liar. They deserve their fleeting moment of exposure.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Horrible. This is not how humans should interact with other humans.

There was only one human in that video

Sara_H

Guru
It's neither my fault or responsibility if a few low lives have hijacked my experience to cause trouble and fear but I can't help but feel bad. That's just my nature.

I want to see if there's anything I can do to bring about a positive outcome for them via the media. I don't live far from this business and have to pass the shop every day. I don't want to be made a pariah in my community because a local business has been destroyed. Yes, the bloke brought it on himself by his actions but he will have allies and sympathisers in the area. I'd like to not have some Mail-reading nutter torch my car or home just as he really doesn't want harm to come to his wife and young kids.

He's an idiot, yes. He may be a thug, it may have been a moment of madness. He might be genuinely remorseful or just sorry for himself. Castigate the idiot who attacked me at will but he's been lawfully dealt with. Let's get answers from those who make the law and set policies that lead to people being let off lightly for violent assaults.
Has he apologised yet?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There was only one human in that video
Er, nope. Someone earlier posted a stop frame which clearly showed a woman in the passenger seat. That makes two. The suspicion is that this might be the wife of the assailant - the one who to all intents and purposes claimed not to know him.

As for "Can someone explain what the benefit is in spreading or attempting to get this YT video to go viral, post pics of family etc?" Yes, I'l have a go. The more people like this are named 'n shamed, and the more widely it becomes known that this might happen, the more likely aggressive morons are to think twice before putting other people's lives at risk because they're having a bad hair day.

Oh, and re the 'post pics of family' bit; if that was what was going on - people posting unrelated family members - I would agree that that's out of order. But when these 'family members' have gone on record saying 'just some stranger who bought one of our sweatshirts', then I think posting pictures of them cuddling up to the supposed 'stranger' is entirely justified.

lozcs

Guru
It's neither my fault or responsibility if a few low lives have hijacked my experience to cause trouble and fear but I can't help but feel bad. That's just my nature.

I want to see if there's anything I can do to bring about a positive outcome for them via the media. I don't live far from this business and have to pass the shop every day. I don't want to be made a pariah in my community because a local business has been destroyed. Yes, the bloke brought it on himself by his actions but he will have allies and sympathisers in the area. I'd like to not have some Mail-reading nutter torch my car or home just as he really doesn't want harm to come to his wife and young kids.

He's an idiot, yes. He may be a thug, it may have been a moment of madness. He might be genuinely remorseful or just sorry for himself. Castigate the idiot who attacked me at will but he's been lawfully dealt with. Let's get answers from those who make the law and set policies that lead to people being let off lightly for violent assaults.

Just caught up with this thread - what a horrible experience, I grew up in South Birmingham and have ridden round there lots, recognising the roads in your video makes it more shocking to me somehow - I'm glad you are OK Stephen and well done for how you have handled this.

lozcs

Guru
thinking about this today...

As much as at the moment I think this guy is nothing but a thug and needs a huge fine or locking up - OP said he wanted a positive outcome from this situation - perhaps Birmingham people inviting the guy on a bike ride might be a solution? I'd join in... He might learn something?

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

I'm sitting on a media request. I may accept on condition that he's given fair hearing.

Once people have calmed down. I think him being seen on a bike among cyclists will humanise him. People forget that these aren't characters on a computer screen. They're people with families. He's done wrong, he's been dealt with by the police, not in the way I wanted but that's by the by. Give him a voice and allow him to make reparations.

I'd shake his hand if he turned up.

lit

I'm sitting on a media request. I may accept on condition that he's given fair hearing.

Once people have calmed down. I think him being seen on a bike among cyclists will humanise him. People forget that these aren't characters on a computer screen. They're people with families. He's done wrong, he's been dealt with by the police, not in the way I wanted but that's by the by. Give him a voice and allow him to make reparations.

I think that's a good idea, whatever you do don't ride two abreast ; ) (if he agreed to ride anyway)

If you have not had dealings with Birmingham press before, I suggest you give them a more space than a careering lorry! You might think you've got a deal with the writer, but the editors will spin it to suit the agenda of the moment. It won't be pretty, and you'll be shouldering that karma too.

You'd be better off having a peaceful rally with Mr B, making a video, and putting that on YouTube!
Keep in mind that both Mr & Mrs B may blame you for damage to the business. You'd be best off proposing something they can point to as helping restore their good standing.

Let the press pick up on that happy resolution.

A low-key alternative would be to find bikes for Mr & Mrs, and offer to guide them through local roads with a cyclist's perspective. Help them appreciate what it's like on the other side.

Top Bottom