Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
I wouldnt hold your breath,problems with the video,underpowered computer? presumably you gave them a DVD-r?
Sounds like alot of obfuscation and bullsht to be truthful
Im sorry for what happened to you but leaving it to the police is a joke
Broadcasting it publically would attract huge attention if the incident is as serious as you claim both from your local media and worldwide on youtube
Deferring from sticking it online is pointless and is letting this guy off the hook and it leaves your claims open to doubt
There are tons of videos of criminal wrong doing on the roads from cycle cams which have lead to successful prosecutions,i just do not understand your reasoning from not uploading it

I remember reading on here a court case being postponed because they couldn't figure out how to play .MOV files. I wouldn't put it past them - they're probably still running DOS on some of their machines.

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

Broadcasting it publically would attract huge attention if the incident is as serious as you claim both from your local media and worldwide on youtube
Deferring from sticking it online is pointless and is letting this guy off the hook and it leaves your claims open to doubt
There are tons of videos of criminal wrong doing on the roads from cycle cams which have lead to successful prosecutions,i just do not understand your reasoning from not uploading it

:rolleyes:

Nobody's being let off the hook. I'm giving the police a chance to investigate first and expect him to be charged. I want a conviction for the assault and hopefully he'll be done for driving offences. All these will affect his insurance premiums in addition to court fines and costs. These are going to hit him harder than a YouTube video attracting some bad PR but in the worst case a few hundred viewers before it is removed due to a privacy complaint.

tl;dr I'll upload when I'm ready. End of.

postman

Legendary Member
If the Police start to dawdle,a bit of advice get your Union rep to drop them a line,mine helped out with a very large furniture company a table and chairs set was faulty cost us a few bob when we bought it.The firm gave us the run around till my Union sent a letter and named a Solicitor.Worked a treat cost to me, nothing except normal yearly subs.
Think about it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't forget your MP either. Most are pretty keen to show how they're on the side of their constituents, and 'the authorities' really don't like getting into a barney with an MP.

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

Update: The PC investigating has been on holiday but has now seen the video and it's "really good evidence." She's going to arrange for the bloke to go to the station next week.

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

I really really really really with a cherry on top want to see the footage.
Looks like that'll happen sooner than I thought.

They hauled the bloke in for questioning this morning. He told his side of the story, then changed it after being told it was on camera. He didn't want to watch it but the PC made him. He accepts full responsibility for what happened.

The officer wanted to charge him and the evidence is very strong but because he has no previous (ie. hasn't been caught before), they apparently can't. I was given the choice of a local resolution consisting of a written apology and compensation for the damage to the bike or him receiving a formal caution and I get nothing. I reluctantly chose the resolution as it's an instant result that goes on his record and I don't have to spend time and energy chasing him for money through the county courts.

I'm disappointed as you can't go round belting people like that for taking their rightful place on the road; there should be real consequences. My frustration doesn't lie with the police but the procedures that govern them. They've already collected the compensation and passed it on to me and they're going to post me the letter of apology. When I have that I'll make the video public. Early next week, probably.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Better than a kick in the teeth....

Sorry, that was rather tasteless.

Inappropriate jokes aside, I'd be pretty disappointed with an apology and compensation for the damage only in return to what was an assault as well in your shoes. I guess the bit of solace you could take from it is that he's now flagged; so if it was a genuinely out-of-character, you-caught-me-at-completely-the-wrong-time, he's-actually-normally-a-decent-guy kind of incident, the apology will be sincere and everyone moves on. If he is just an over-aggressive hinge-job, then your ordeal will hopefully help the next poor Joe attain justice.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What - you can't be charged for assault the first time you do it???

Hopefully Vike or CopperCyclist will be along to confirm this is the case, and not your local coppers taking an easy way out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"The officer wanted to charge him and the evidence is very strong but because he has no previous (ie. hasn't been caught before), they apparently can't." Am I the only one who finds this totally incomprehensible? You can't be charged with an offense you've admitted committing, because you've never been convicted before? Eh? Does that work with, say, murder? You can kill someone with impunity, so long as you have no previous convictions? Really?

I have been involved in a road rage incident as a witness, the aggressor was of previous good character with no previous. The incident did not involve direct violence but certainly intimidating behaviour. He ended up being charged, it went to court where I gave evidence. He was found guilty and given a large fine. IMHO the decision and reasons given by the police in your case is wrong.

Im new to this forum and have been a Police Officer for 23 years.
The cautioning policy was introduced years ago to reduce the amount of "first time, minor offenders" clogging up the court system. Now, before you all shout at me saying assault isnt minor, I do agree, but this was deemed a common assault, therefore "minor". The decision making process relies on gravity factors, some aggravating factors push the "score" up, other mitigating factors bring the score down. If the result is below a certain figure, a caution can be administered...IF... the suspect admits the offence......has no similar previous cautions or convictions.......AND accepts the caution.
In this case, this idiot obviously admitted the offence, had no record of violence and you were offered a caution as a disposal method for the suspect.
On the point of publicising evidence in an investigation....DO NOT DO IT, however tempting. If a case goes to trial, the defence would have a gift in arguing the defendant cannot get a fair trial as some of the evidence has been widely publicised, particularly if they successfully argue the publicised material as inadmissable.
Glad you got a resolution my friend, however minor.

"The officer wanted to charge him and the evidence is very strong but because he has no previous (ie. hasn't been caught before), they apparently can't." Am I the only one who finds this totally incomprehensible? You can't be charged with an offense you've admitted committing, because you've never been convicted before? Eh? Does that work with, say, murder? You can kill someone with impunity, so long as you have no previous convictions? Really?

No, that really makes no sense. If there is evidence of assault, how can they not charge? Doesn't sound right that :sad:

Top Bottom