BBC encourage insurance fraud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Driving a ton of metal into someone is not the same as dropping a cup.

If the individual concerned is sorted, feels that the driver has learned from the experience and drives more safely because of it then that is a decision only they can make

If the individual concerned is sorted, feels that the driver has learned from the experience and drives more safely because of it then that is a decision only they can make
Hmm.

For two or three weeks afterwards, he said, his driving was too cautious. His wife would tell him: "You're half way across the road just to miss that bike." .....
....suggests the driver MAY have driven more safely for 2-3 weeks afterwards. And that his wife learned NOTHING.

And the cyclist - three weeks off his bike? On public transport, here in Leeds, that's £40 of his deal eaten up.

OK - his choice. Doesn't mean I have to like it. :cursing:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
It's an interesting situation. Your teacups are (presumably) insured just as your car is insured. Break a teacup and, because it is below the excess, you just replace the teacup and that's that. I am struggling to see the difference between that and, say, repairing some damage to a car also below the excess

Quantum is different of course, but I don't think there's anything in the T&Cs about that. So aren't we invalidating our home contents by not reporting the broken teacup in the same way we are invalidating our motor insurance by not reporting some damage?

Breaking a teacup, or anything in your house, and not claiming, statistically does not make you more likely to make a major claim. Actuaries make up the rules in insurance, and they know that those who make a claim are much more likely to make another (at least this is what they extrapolate from the statistics).

This is why they require policyholders to report notifiable incidents. After all, even a minor collision between two road users is a small step away from a personal injury claim, which can escalate very quickly. Broken teacups, or even the vast majority of household claims do not have anywhere near the potential for third party liability (OK, in theory the potential is there, but not in the statistics from which the actuaries are working).

Hmm.

....suggests the driver MAY have driven more safely for 2-3 weeks afterwards. And that his wife learned NOTHING.

And the cyclist - three weeks off his bike? On public transport, here in Leeds, that's £40 of his deal eaten up.

OK - his choice. Doesn't mean I have to like it. :cursing:

I agree

It reminds me of a couple of cases where I have taken up complaints with Companies as opposed to the Police

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Breaking a teacup, or anything in your house, and not claiming, statistically does not make you more likely to make a major claim. Actuaries make up the rules in insurance, and they know that those who make a claim are much more likely to make another (at least this is what they extrapolate from the statistics).

This is why they require policyholders to report notifiable incidents. After all, even a minor collision between two road users is a small step away from a personal injury claim, which can escalate very quickly. Broken teacups, or even the vast majority of household claims do not have anywhere near the potential for third party liability (OK, in theory the potential is there, but not in the statistics from which the actuaries are working).

Don't worry I'm not trying to cause an argument (goodness there is enough of that going on on this thread already). What is a "notifiable incident"? I can't find any sensible information on this. Is it the case that every vehicle "incident" is notifiable? But no house contents "incidents" are notifiable?

doog

Well, your insurance may go up if you have a non-fault claim. Unfair but true. You also have a responsibility to tell your insurance company of any collision, again even if non fault. You will almost certainly be in breach of their terms if you don't.

You and the OP work for insurance companies I guess ?

There's the real world then there's Glenn and MarkeyMarks faux outrage....the two latest comedians to inhabit this forum...

(btw I stepped on a crack in the pavement yesterday....do I report it)

There's the real world then there's Glenn and MarkeyMarks faux outrage....the two latest comedians to inhabit this forum...

Eh. I think glen is an old fuss pot. But there's nothing in what I say that is wrong. If you have a collision and it's their fault, if you pass money and don't tell the insurance company then you're in breach of their terms.

Nothing to do with anything outside a car, but your car insurance are buggers.

It is entirely possible that failing to notify, in breach of their terms can be a reason not to pay out in future claim.

Edit. It s not fraud, as the op suggest, but most likely in breach of your insurance policy potentially leaving you out of pocket if they find out by refusing to payout future claims.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Was the crack any worse when you lifted your foot off it?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

What is a "notifiable incident"?

Any incident that causes damage or injury, because there is a potential for a claim from the TP.

This idea that telling nobody about collisions isn't fraud needs examination.

Once again, you are paying the insurer to cover your risk. If you fail to notify them that you have driven into a cyclist by not yielding at a junction, got ripped to the tits on Emma and Special Brew and crashed the car or have a conviction for punching a copper then you have breached the terms of your policy and have tried to obtain financial advantage by lying.

doog

Eh. I think glen is an old fuss pot. But there's nothing in what I say that is wrong. If you have a collision and it's their fault, if you pass money and don't tell the insurance company then you're in breach of their terms.

Nothing to do with anything outside a car, but your car insurance are buggers.

Of course mate and I was being slightly obtuse...the failure to report any 'incident' is indeed in breach of their terms, however sometimes they dont need to know.

My daughter had a minor 'incident'..non injury, minimal damage that involved a door and an alloy wheel, no claim from either party but the other party towed the party line and reported it. It was reported as an 'incident' and for three years she suffered in her premiums and I daresay the other driver did as well.

The thing I kind of take issue with is that every incident on here is taken to the extreme...reality land as you know is that this doesnt happen and for good reason. The Police for example would rather you sorted things out amicably without their involvement, Insurance companies I dare say would like full involvement - as to them its a money earner and an 18 year old clerk will more often than not decide liability for minor cases over the phone without any witness evidence.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any incident that causes damage or injury, because there is a potential for a claim from the TP.

This idea that telling nobody about collisions isn't fraud needs examination.

Once again, you are paying the insurer to cover your risk. If you fail to notify them that you have driven into a cyclist by not yielding at a junction, got ripped to the tits on Emma and Special Brew and crashed the car or have a conviction for punching a copper then you have breached the terms of your policy and have tried to obtain financial advantage by lying.
This from Allianz Insurance
"A "notifiable incident" relates to:
  • the death of a person
  • a serious injury or illness of a person
  • a potentially dangerous incident
Significant penalties apply if you fail to notify an incident."

Top Bottom