BBC encourage insurance fraud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Of course mate and I was being slightly obtuse...the failure to report any 'incident' is indeed in breach of their terms, however sometimes they dont need to know.

My daughter had a minor 'incident'..non injury, minimal damage that involved a door and an alloy wheel, no claim from either party but the other party towed the party line and reported it. It was reported as an 'incident' and for three years she suffered in her premiums and I daresay the other driver did as well.

The thing I kind of take issue with is that every incident on here is taken to the extreme...reality land as you know is that this doesnt happen and for good reason. The Police for example would rather you sorted things out amicably without their involvement, Insurance companies I dare say would like full involvement - as to them its a money earner and an 18 year old clerk will more often than not decide liability or not over the phone without any witness evidence for minor cases.

There's an awful lot wrong with this. First, the idea that driving into people is a trifling matter. It bloody isn't. Second motor insurance doesn't make money. More is paid out in claims than is taken in premiums. £1.4m paid out every single day. Third, FNOL employees don't decide liability. No insurance company has iability settled by the person who takes the First Notification Of Loss. That would create uproar and lots of follow-ups. Insurers don't like follow-ups.

The feeling I'm getting from reading this stuff is that peoples' relationship with their insurer is far from an open one. It's a sort of casual dishonesty that's depressing. It may not be fraud, although telling lies for money sounds like fraud to me, but it's certainly a breach of your terms and from reading this article it doesn't sound like an omission or mistake, it sounds deliberate. Insurers don't like deliberate liars either.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

It most certainly is something the insurers need to know, because if you fail to notify them you are asking them to cover your risk but you are lying about your driving record.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4263660, member: 259"]So you wouldn't bother with that one then?[/QUOTE]
No mention of damage to items though!

classic33

Leg End Member
The feeling I'm getting from reading this stuff is that peoples' relationship with their insurer is far from an open one. It's a sort of casual dishonesty that's depressing. It may not be fraud, although telling lies for money sounds like fraud to me, but it's certainly a breach of your terms and from reading this article it doesn't sound like an omission or mistake, it sounds deliberate. Insurers don't like deliberate liars either.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

It most certainly is something the insurers need to know, because if you fail to notify them you are asking them to cover your risk but you are lying about your driving record.
I don't have one to lie about.

As for not liking liars, if it supports their case, I'd say they'd use them. Personal experience on that part, preventing a payout.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

This from Allianz Insurance
"A "notifiable incident" relates to:
  • the death of a person
  • a serious injury or illness of a person
  • a potentially dangerous incident
Significant penalties apply if you fail to notify an incident."

Ballcocks. Post the link where you found this. I think you're a bit confused.

doog

Give over Glenn...

Why should I report a non reportable road traffic accident to my insurance company when there is absolutely no onus on me to do so by law.

You can bluster away with your fraud nonsense but its just that....(btw the phone operator did say my daughter was liable- just read your ramblings).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Give over Glenn...

Why should I report a non reportable road traffic accident to my insurance company when there is absolutely no onus on me to do so by law.

You can bluster away with your fraud nonsense but its just that....

I expect your insurance company is the same as everyone else's in that, come renewal time, they'll ask you if you've had any accidents, claims or convictions since your last application. Lying to them at that point is fraud. Your choice.

GC

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

.(btw the phone operator did say my daughter was liable- just read your ramblings).

I know. You said your daughter reported it. So liability wasn't disputed. It was a reported incident so would impact premiums.

I'm still a bit staggered by the casual acceptance of this, sorry to be like a dog with a bone but...

You are asking a company to carry your risk, right? You are asking them to underwrite your potential liability. How in the name of left-handed Greek buggery is the fact that you failed to give way to a cyclist and drove into them not a material consideration that could effect the insurer's decision?

bladesman73

Über Member
i see we have the same old morons stirring again! everytime i come onto this forum its the same posters going out of their way to stir it up. as for the article, i read it today, worried me what the drivers' wife said more than their actions after the accident. insurance companies are leeches and their actions lead to dishonesty like this. my problem is that the next time the driver might not be so lucky and end up killing someone, hopefully he tells his wife to stfu and gives cyclists a wide berth from now on

doog

[
I know. You said your daughter reported it. So liability wasn't disputed. It was a reported incident so would impact premiums.

I'm still a bit staggered by the casual acceptance of this, sorry to be like a dog with a bone but...

You are asking a company to carry your risk, right? You are asking them to underwrite your potential liability. How in the name of left-handed Greek buggery is the fact that you failed to give way to a cyclist and drove into them not a material consideration that could effect the insurer's decision?

No the other reported it because they had a scratch on their alloy....and I go back to cracks on pavements and reality land.

My example is evidence of how an insurance company will hammer someone for their honesty even in the most minor cases....hence its no surprise that people will do anything to avoid reporting something to their insurance company...

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

[

No the other reported it because they had a scratch on their alloy....and I go back to cracks on pavements and reality land.

My example is evidence of how an insurance company will hammer someone for their honesty even in the most minor cases....hence its no surprise that people will do anything to avoid reporting something to their insurance company...

Your daughter caused damage to someone else's property. This means that the company that carry her risk adjusted her premium. This is as basic as I can explain the concept of insurance to you. The fact that you find it wildly unfair makes me wistful and restless.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Read the small print then. Or ask them. You can insist upon honesty as much as you like, just the same as insurers can.

doog

Your daughter caused damage to someone else's property. This means that the company that carry her risk adjusted her premium. This is as basic as I can explain the concept of insurance to you. The fact that you find it wildly unfair makes me wistful and restless.

Loads of assumptions in there glenn, 'causation', 'wildly unfair 'but im more worried about you being ' wistful and restless..'.I'll leave it at that, clearly your enthusiasm to educate others about insurance law exceeds you ability to comprehend the point I was making....anyone reading this and realising what farkwittery awaits when they deal with an insurance company will surely not bother to lift up the phone ...which of course was my initial point....

[QUOTE 4263731, member: 9609"]I remember doing this once; Holiday Insurance - in the policy it stated that they would not meet any claim that had arisen out of alcohol, I asked did that mean I would have to be teetotal for the entire holiday, they told me over the phone not to worry it was only meant for really really really drunk people. Hmmm, as far as I am concerned trip over an empty wine bottle and they have a potential get out clause! Shop around I hear you say; surprising how similar the wording is on different policies.[/QUOTE]

See who it is underwritten by - you will be surprised. Wiggle fo instance use a company in Gibraltar

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
At least it should be reported to the police as this is an RTA which caused injury. Which means an RTA booket would be filled out which would include the drivers insurance details. It would be a starting point for the cyclist.

"And, physically, I'm fine. A few bumps and bruises, a sore neck but a quick trip to A&E, in and out within an hour - I got away lightly."

Top Bottom