Be very afraid when cycling in Samoa!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They should do it gradually... cars make the change one week, next week lorries, week after that buses, etc ;)

U

User169

Ok - little general knowledge quiz. At which International land borders does one switch from driving on the right to the left (or vice versa)?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got to be the surrounding borders of India and and some African countries I guess

Delftse Post said:
Ok - little general knowledge quiz. At which International land borders does one switch from driving on the right to the left (or vice versa)?

Brains

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
One has to the ask the question, why does an island need to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So they can get cheap 2nd hand imported cars from Japan

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Delftse Post said:

I'm not giving the game away but I did look up countries that still drive on the left as I thought it was only the UK, Australia and Japan - but there's loads!

It also stated reasons for driving on the left or the right:

Many factors contribute to which side is favoured for example keeping left allows a riders sword arm to be free, or keep right for ease of whipping horses.

Now I've always found those two reasons to be very useful but it does go on to say they're largely historical!

Beardie

Does anyone remember Sweden going from left to right in 1967? I heard they arranged for the change to happen on a weekday at just after 5pm, possibly because traffic would be travelling slowly during rush-hour and the inevitable pile-ups would less serious than if it was moving quickly.

Anyway, my entry for the international borders quiz is Spain/Gibraltar. AICMFP.

02GF74

Über Member
threebikesmcginty said:
I'm not giving the game away but I did look up countries that still drive on the left as I thought it was only the UK, Australia and Japan - but there's loads!

funily enough it was mentioned on the radio last week that more people drive on the left hand side than on the right?!! I don't believe but won't argue.

U

User169

Beardie said:
Does anyone remember Sweden going from left to right in 1967? I heard they arranged for the change to happen on a weekday at just after 5pm, possibly because traffic would be travelling slowly during rush-hour and the inevitable pile-ups would less serious than if it was moving quickly.

Anyway, my entry for the international borders quiz is Spain/Gibraltar. AICMFP.

According to wiki, gibraltar changed to driving on the right in 1929, so no prize I'm afraid.

Is that sign still there, on the road about 5 or 6 miles up from Newhaven, reminding you to drive on the left ?

It always amused me, because if you'd managed to get that far without realising, gawd knows what trail of destruction you'd have left behind you !

Top Bottom