Be very afraid when cycling in Samoa!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Delftse Post said:
Both left, I think, but Uganda to Rwanda requires a left to right change.

OK then how about Rwanda to Uganda :biggrin:

I've experienced it once in a trans-Africa truck trip but can't remember where.

I think in many areas, like West Africa where there were numerous ex-British and ex-French colonies, they've all actually swapped-over to the same side to avoid the issue.

Except for Zaire/DRC, most of Mid and Southern Africa used to be pink on the map so they drive on the left, including - interestingly - Mozambique, despite it having been a Portugese colony, so there's no issue crossing there to/from South Africa or Zimbabwe.

But doesn't Hong Kong still drive on the left, whereas China 'proper' (the PRC) drive on the wrong side ?

U

User169

Afghanistan and Pakistan! I guess the side of road you drive on is the least of your worries on that one.

Wiki will answer all these sort of questions. There are no land boundaries in Europe (since 1967) where you need to make the switch, but several in Asia, Africa etc. However if they ever build a road tunnel across the Channel (and if we're still 'keep left' when it happens), it could be - ah - interesting! Wasn't there a story in one of the French newspapers advising motorists to switch to the left, in preparation and as a concession to Britain for joining the EU? (I believe it appeared on April 1 - and led to a number of accidents).

Top Bottom