Been on my first ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
Congratulations on the ride though!
Have you ruled out chain catching the front derailleur for the noise?
Finding out where a noise is coming from can be a real pain

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

I've got it all in font me :rolleyes: it's sounds like it's the bottom bracket but that means nothing. Not bothered with it yet, may just get it out later and see :banghead:

vickster

Legendary Member
Average speed doesn't really mean anything, too many variables including gadget inaccuracies (my phone and garmin can be 1mph apart at least)

Just concentrate on time in the saddle, increasing distance if you have time and most importantly enjoying it :smile:

Keep on pedalling

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Keep up the good work.
At least in our location there is choice for the type of riding you want to do, as you build up distances, even if the traffic on some routes can be crap.
Flat - East Lancs cycle path or up to Ormskirk.
Rolling hills - South towards Northwich or South East towards Knutsford
Lumpy - Pretty much anything North or North East of Leigh

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mick, if it is a BB30 bottom bracket the noise will be coming from the alloy axle flexing microscopically inside the inner bearing races. The extra leverage afforded by your pedal spindle extensions might not be helping. The cure is to take out the axle and smear bearing fit compound on the area where you can see wear.

This was mine; you can see where the movement has happened on the machined areas of the axle. Bearing fit compound cures the creaking and clicking. The wear is less on the drive side because the axle is stabilised by chain tension.

20140523_195613_zps9dc25291.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another point worth making is that when you are hearing these clicks and creaks, using a smoother rotating pedal action will quell them. Leisure cyclists tend to push down on the pedals, loading the BB cyclically and causing the flexing. Some more experienced cyclists take pleasure in deriding inexperienced pedal pushers as "nodders" because their heads go up and down with the effort. I bet Chris Froome doesn't get this; he's a smooth spinner. So it's worth trying to develp a smooth pedal action applying power right round the turn and keeping the upper body still.

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

The noise has stopped, I'm wondering if the bike not being used has led to some grease drying, and then using the bike has moved the grease around :rolleyes:

Top Bottom