Best folk songs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Nancy Whiskey
Johnny Cope
Spanish Lady
Galway Races
Finnigan's wake
The old triangle
The Dundee weavers
Whiskey in the jar
Arthur Mcbride
The leaving of Liverpool

Here is 10 of my folk favourites and a lot are from old Dubliners records sung by Luke Kelly but I was inspired by folk groups like Planxty, Dedanan, The Fureys and The Bothy Band. They are mainly Irish and Scottish although I was into some English folk by the likes of Steely Span, Pentangle, Fairport Convention and Lindisfarne. .
If you have any folk favourites then let the world know.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Anything by Julie Fowlis

RedRider

Pulling through
Most of my knowledge derives from the excellent Acoustic Folk Box Set which came out a few years ago and family get togethers where Irish songs were murdered. (Tell a lie, a couple of cousins have beautiful voices.)
Not traditional but I love this:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Clannad (pre-Legend) made some pretty decent folk albums. I have several of them on tape (but nothing to play the tapes with, now).

Custom24

Über Member
Nancy Whiskey
Johnny Cope
Spanish Lady
Galway Races
Finnigan's wake
The old triangle
The Dundee weavers
Whiskey in the jar
Arthur Mcbride
The leaving of Liverpool

Here is 10 of my folk favourites and a lot are from old Dubliners records sung by Luke Kelly but I was inspired by folk groups like Planxty, Dedanan, The Fureys and The Bothy Band. They are mainly Irish and Scottish although I was into some English folk by the likes of Steely Span, Pentangle, Fairport Convention and Lindisfarne. .
If you have any folk favourites then let the world know.

Raglan Road would top that list for me.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Whiskey is the Life of Man - Bellowhead.
Seen here live on the BBC, Christmas 2009:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-x9KtmSwLA

and ... pretty much anything else by Bellowhead or ... the delightful Kate Rusby

Top Bottom