Best folk songs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon

I like that too, Joe. Didgeridoo? Nice, evocative images an' all. Thanks.
I have eclectic tastes in music but it's great to find new (to me) stuff on this thread.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
[QUOTE 3196388, member: 1314"]I say Rammsteins are folk though. We need to define 'Planxty etc' (which is a prog-folk music type I know very) as a specific type of folk music. We can have a really interesting discussion about what is folk music in 2014.

Having said all that I've already outed Dick Gaughan as the 'ardest' hard-rock singer of them all. :-)[/QUOTE]
I'd love to give a clever considered reply to this but ... life's too short. I have paper bags to iron; which is WAY more important.
So, my response.
You, sir, are a twonk of the first order.
Grow up.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3196388, member: 1314"]I say Rammsteins are folk though. We need to define 'Planxty etc' (which is a prog-folk music type I know very) as a specific type of folk music. We can have a really interesting discussion about what is folk music in 2014.

Having said all that I've already outed Dick Gaughan as the 'ardest' hard-rock singer of them all. :-)[/QUOTE]
"Planxty is an Irish folk music band formed in January 1972, :99–100 consisting initially of Christy Moore".
"Planxty is an Irish folk music band formed in January 1972, consisting initially of Christy Moore (vocals, acoustic guitar, bodhrán), Andy Irvine (vocals, mandolin, mandola, bouzouki, hurdy-gurdy, harmonica), Dónal Lunny (bouzouki, guitars), and Liam O'Flynn (uilleann pipes, tin whistle). They quickly revolutionized and popularized Irish folk music, touring and recording to great acclaim.
Subsequently, Johnny Moynihan, Paul Brady, Matt Molloy (flute), Bill Whelan (keyboards), Nollaig Casey (fiddle) and, briefly, Noel Hill (concertina) and Tony Linnane (fiddle) were also temporary members.
Planxty broke up twice, first in December 1975 and again in April 1983.The original quartet reunited in October 2003 and their final performance (to date) was on 31 January 2005."

Christy Moore has already been mentioned.
And at one time lived not far from me. House "visited" by the police, seven Irish at the same address, leaving at odd hours. Building work did that, when you had to travel to the site. When reassured that there was nothing amiss/wrong at the address, the officers were invited to have a drink before leaving. He did at one point work on the M62, where it crosses the Pennines.

Edited to include the full list of artists

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd love to give a clever considered reply to this but ... life's too short. I have paper bags to iron; which is WAY more important.
So, my response.
You, sir, are a twonk of the first order.
Grow up.
Likes.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3197188, member: 1314"]Hahahaha. Remind me why I never frequent 'proper' folk clubs. 'Folf Music' as you're assuming (not even defining) is a very exclusive sub-sub-culture consisting of old folks stuck somewhere in the middle-class Ewan Macoll 50 revival and their kids systematically dipping their ginks into aspic whilst worthy old men drink rosie-cheeked cider, lassies frolic on the lawn in calico florals, ribbons in their hair, the men are all carpentors roving the wilds in a horse-and-cart, and the sun shines merrily with a gig and a go and a hey hey ho,, wacka-wackaday ho. my lover doth rideth over the mountain-o, with a fack-and-a-lack and a hey-diddy-do, dance-merrily-o, and a shiffle-shiffle-o. O-de-do.Lobie-lobie-lo.[/QUOTE]
What the uck are you on?
One definition
"Traditional folk music has been defined in several ways: as music transmitted by mouth, as music of the lower classes, and as music with unknown composers. It has been contrasted with commercial and classical styles. One meaning often given is that of old songs, with no known composers; another is music that has been transmitted and evolved by a process of oral transmission or performed by custom over a long period of time."

Explain then how seven men sharing the same flat is considered "middle-class". Christy Moore being the person in question here. Whilst your at it explain and say how many "middle-class" navvies you know. They were the pick and shovel men on most sites. Lowest paid & lowest rated job.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think Boris has left the thread.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you've not come across him before and he's not been mentioned check out Jackie Leven. He was one of the best players I've ever seen on a stage, sadly gone now due to prostate cancer, he lived an "interesting" life

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 3197375, member: 1314"]Been rare since I've had so much vitriol and abuse poured on me, and it's interesting that it's from the 'trad British Isles folk scene'. West Bank is being bombed to smithereens, Iraq's civil war has just got bloodier, the Met have been spying on the Black and Irish families and supporters of killings for decades, but question the 'trad British Isles folk scene'... It reconfirms not just how insular and conservative it all is, but in fact how reactionary. Your welcome to it. I'm offski this thread.
[/QUOTE]

That's a spectacular combination of exaggerated self-pity, whataboutery, misuse of political critique, and a flounce all in one. Good work!

Top Bottom