Best of the instant coffees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
+1

I couldn't have put it better, Geoff.

Now have you thought about getting a portable coffee maker for your next tour?
Nope, I use coffee bags mate. Currently Lyons, which seem to be the only ones available here, but I brought a shedload back from France this summer, never havin' seen 'em there before. Yet to try.
I've tried little filters wot fit in cups but it's a bit of a nuisance gettin' rid o' the grounds (least it was when we were camping in bear country, when I last used it). Filter bags of ground coffee are as easy to chuck (in a bin of course) as teabags. The taste is not as good as I make at home but not too bad. Better than INSTANT coffee anyday
Sorry, I feel xx( again, just thinkin' about it.

Mrs M

Guru
Quite a lot of waste produced though, and at a premium price. A triumph of marketing - we had coffee making sussed years ago. As others have said, get a cafetiere.
Premium price, not,if you know where to get it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10

Mrs M

Guru
Yep, hubby bought a coffee maker last year. By the time the thing had produced one solitary cup you'd given up and made tea.
Wasn't cheap and a complete waste of time/£ that ended up in a skip.

Geoff Crowther

We all pay the price though - millions of useless bits of plastic lying about the place.
Absolutely, and, further to my cafetiere comment, I got sick of breakin' glass ones. I now have a double-walled stainless steel one at home; it'll see me out, and a simpler stainless steel one in t'camper (which has been camping with us all over the world).
Life is good ... as long as you drink REAL coffee.

Absolutely, and, further to my cafetiere comment, I got sick of breakin' glass ones. I now have a double-walled stainless steel one at home; it'll see me out, and a simpler stainless steel one in t'camper (which has been camping with us all over the world).
Life is good ... as long as you drink REAL coffee.
I was using one of these before buying the aeropress. Tidy for travelling with.

Geoff Crowther

I was using one of these before buying the aeropress. Tidy for travelling with.
Never seen one o' them before. Quite like it cos it takes no more space than me mug. Actually it does, cos I've a collapsible silicone mug. Might consider one though. I think the Aeropress is too big for lightweight camping. Just my opinion though. Can see it's benefits.

IncoherentJeff

I quite like Carte Noir instant coffee.

A Bosch Tassimo machine has appeared in the kitchen as my partner likes Chai Latte. It's alright for nice coffee, cappuccino & mocha's but the hot chocolate is poor. It seems pretty wasteful to me with all the little plastic pots.

I'll stick with my Carte Noir, tho it's not without it's sins as it's a product of Kraft (rebranded as Mondelez International). Unfortunately it seems most international companies have a dark side.

Carte Noir for me as well when I am at work.
At home we have a Nespresso machine, which is not cheap, but we do recycle the aluminium pods after use.

OT, but coffee related. Was on a flight yesterday with a foil bag of beans one of the guys I work with gave me. It vacuum packed itself to a brick via the little vent whilst in the aeroplane hold. Will have to see if it's effected the aroma when it gets opened in the morning.

KneesUp

Guru
What are the grounds for your boycott?
That, Sir, is a dreadful pun.

Nestle were a leading light in unethical marketing of formula milk to babies in countries where there was a lack of access to clean water to make it, and a lack of money to pay for it. This despite human evolution providing a better and cheaper alternative to formula milk. They state a much on their own website

More recently their CEO had said that access to water is not a basic right. I just don't like them as a company, so I avoid them if I can. Of course they own loads of brands, and sometime I slip up. I didn't realise until recently they'd bought Buxton Water for example - it used to be free in the town. I bet they don't like that :smile:

Top Bottom