Best Sitcom of the 21st Century is...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
I don't think it pointless at all. I think the OP may be trying to draw a comparison between what might be called the golden age of the sitcom, the last four or so decades of the last century, and what we've been offered so far this century.
Sorry, I wasn't having a go at the OP I was having a go at the bbc (? ) or whoever it was who originated the poll. Just seems like a completely arbitrary point to make such a survey.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
21st Century?
Yeah... forgot about that.

Its still repeated if that counts

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan either. But why is it "landmark"?
Like it or not, it was something genuinely new. It was like seeing reality television for the first time. Not that old-style television comedy has gone away, but I think The Office opened up new possibilities that others have since explored. Shows like 2012 and W1A, eg, with their 'near-realism', owe a debt to The Office. Personally I wouldn't say I wasn't a fan - I was. I thought it was audacious and fresh, genuinely innovative and original. I just didn't find it belly-laughing funny, in the way that I did, say, Fawlty Towers.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Of course it's farking arbitrary, of courtse it's farking subjective, it;s farkinhg humour innit.
Office and Outnumbered for frshenss etc etc etc
I'm just back from thr boozer so the spellnig pesants can do one...
:okay:
Top post! :thumbsup:

Like it or not, it was something genuinely new. It was like seeing realityA television for the first time. Not that old-style television comedy has gone away, but I think The Office opened up new possibilities that others have since explored. Shows like 2012 and W1A, eg, with their 'near-realism', owe a debt to The Office.
Ah thank you. That explains why I don't see it. There is an Australian series that predates it by several years, mockumentary (or mockudrama really) sitcom set in an office, The Games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRegD00RnB0

(might look a little familiar. I didn't bother watching 2012 after the first episode as I had "seen it before". I later found out that the makers of the Australian series had pitched it to the person who eventually produced 2012, but he rejected it then remade it himself. The BBC investigated and found they had done nothing wrong)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I don't think it pointless at all. I think the OP may be trying to draw a comparison between what might be called the golden age of the sitcom, the last four or so decades of the last century, and what we've been offered so far this century.
Cripes! I just realised that I'm the OP!

That's not what I'm doing, as it goes. I'm pointing out that, for my money, there's more inventive, more influential, more funny[1] comedy that's been made during the same period covered by the list.

[1] Subjectively

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not a fan either. But why is it "landmark"?
It proved that good sitcom doesn't have to be funny. Others have deduced, incorrectly, that unfunny sitcoms are necessarily good...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's not what I'm doing, as it goes. I'm pointing out that, for my money, there's more inventive, more influential, more funny[1] comedy that's been made during the same period covered by the list.

[1] Subjectively

Ok, I understand. Everyone has different tastes hence the varying ideas of what is or not funny.

Btw another which hasn't been mentioned so far and is one of my all time favourites is King of the Hill, if it counts.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ok, I understand. Everyone has different tastes hence the varying ideas of what is or not funny.

Btw another which hasn't been mentioned so far and is one of my all time favourites is King of the Hill, if it counts.

Great shout, and has one of my favourite theme tunes. Only spent a couple series in the 90s so I reckon it counts.

Top Bottom