best way to get average speed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
learn the art of slip streaming

Tin Pot

Guru
I want my average speed to increase as on a flat 26 mile route i do 13.5 mph at the start i do hit a few traffic lights and traffic.

Is it worth going to a WATT CYCLE classes to get used to going faster

Get a structured training plan:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/fitness/training/cycling-training-plans-153049

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling-training-plans

Then decide whether there is room for watt bike sessions.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
I ride with someone 15 years my junior who is a good 5 mph quicker than me over any given ride. His slow recovery rides are my maxxed out training rides. I have seen some good speed gains over this winter trying to keep up with him.

Newman8

Push yourself.
These are some really simple tasks to start - do all the following (but not all at the same time):
1. Ride longer distance than your comfortable with - don't worry about your speed - just go further than you thought was your limit - over time it will feel more normal.
2. Just go faster than you think is your threshold - really fast - when your legs hurt & you think you can't catch your breath - just keep pushing as hard as you can. You might start by only doing this for a minute, then recovering, riding gently for a few miles - then pushing really hard for another very short interval. Gradually the fast bits will become faster, longer & more frequent (& not feel as hard). Your average speed for a ride like this might be slower than normal, but it will be worth it.
3. Keep moving: I know you say your course is flat - but one of the things that really improved my times was to not ease off for a rest at the top of a hill, but to keep pushing until I could use the descents or easy bits as a natural rest period. The same applies to keeping moving whilst you're taking a drink/food or taking sunglasses/gloves/etc on or off. Doesn't sound like much, but can actually be quite a few minutes over a long ride.

ChrisEyles

Guru
My average speed goes up and down a fair bit, between around 12mph to 17mph. It's something I try not to obsess over too much (with varying degrees of success), but for me, there are two roughly equal factors that seem to determine this

1) The route - you'll always be slower on hillier, longer, tougher routes than shorter, flatter, easier ones (you can count wind speed in here too I guess).
2) How many miles per month you've been putting in on the bike over the last six months

If you've not been cycling long, I'd add to this 3) Number of years you've been riding, but this (for me at least) seems to flatten off after a while

I tried a bit of interval training, hill training, a few time trials, and none of it seemed to make a jot of difference. Just concentrate on getting out on the bike, exploring the countryside, and enjoying your riding, and the speed will naturally follow.

Also worth mentioning that I've had plenty of 13 mph average rides that I've enjoyed just as much if not more than other 17 mph average ones.

Citius

Opposite.

Your fitness improves most when your rides are aerobic, at effort levels that suit you.

Trying to keep up with faster riders the whole time is the worst approach.

You can push harder than usual and still stay aerobic. Riding faster is all about pushing harder, so in that sense, pushing harder on the pedals and riding out of your comfort zone is hard to beat as a training concept..

Top Bottom