best way to get average speed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Minimise the time spent going slowly. Learn the phasing of traffic lights. Increase your minimum speed.
^^^ This. You can also improve your average moving speed by bombing it up to stop line, doing an emergency stop every time (thereby pausing most GPS trackers) and sprinting away again. There's absolutely no point as it doesn't get you anywhere any faster, but it gives your average speed a cosmetic boost :laugh:

The only easy way to improve cruising speed is to go aero, so fit some clip-on bars.
...or simply learn to love riding in your drops.

Also worth mentioning that I've had plenty of 13 mph average rides that I've enjoyed just as much if not more than other 17 mph average ones.
13mph? You speed demon, you! ;) (Another 10mph average group ride today... but then that's a deliberate choice for us :laugh: )

ChrisEyles

Guru
13mph? You speed demon, you! ;) (Another 10mph average group ride today... but then that's a deliberate choice for us :laugh: )

If I'm on a road bike I find if I'm going slower than that I end up getting uncomfortable on anything but a short ride, with weight in all the wrong places.

If I'm tootling around on my roadster with a pair of bins around my neck to do some en-route birding, well, then the floor's the limit for average speed ;)

Reactions: mjr

midlife

Guru
If you want to increase your speed you have to train for speed, not distance. Interval training is the best method for solo training, one minute flat out, two minutes rest, then one minute of each, then two of each etc.

Interval training / Fartlek etc improves aerobic capacity and lactate threshold so will improve endurance. However thats more training than riding. I did that sort of thing when younger but the goal was to win time trials and races. I don't remember enjoying it like I did when just going out and pushing myself harder to get better.

Shaun

Kajjal

Guru
Good bike maintenance and keep your tyres properly pumped up. Also better tyres roll better than very cheap ones.
Good bike setup to fit you well reduces injury and improves performance.
Eat healthily, sleep well and have rest days to help your body recover.
Riding in the drops is faster once you get your speed up.
Choose the right gears to let your legs spin freely rather than forcing it. You may need an easier wider range cassette.
If it is very hilly average speed will suffer and also if you have to stop alot during the ride.
Strava and gps device is handy but can get obsessive.

Main thing is to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I want my average speed to increase [over] 26 mile route.
Besides much good advice above, and in addition to it, I suggest that you try using a heart rate monitor. Having established a baseline from a couple of 'normal' rides over the 26 mile route, then do the route aiming to keep your heart rate (HR) higher (in similar temperatures) than those you've established as the 'baseline' and if you see the rate dropping below 140 (say, YMMV) push a bit harder (to get it back above 140). There may be alarms you can set on your HRM to help. Within your control, what's likely reducing your average speed are the 'micro rests' which it's very easy to take on a bike. And a HRM will point that up to you on the display. Perhaps you can imagine a cyclist ahead that you're intent on catching, but she's good and not easy to catch (you need to be of a competitive nature for this to work).
Is it worth going to a WATT CYCLE classes to get used to going faster
Stationary cycling may help you get used to higher cadence and allows accurate realtime display of sustained power output and heart rate. In addition, this might help you with establishing your thresholds/what you can manage for an extended period and could inform the approach advocated above. And it can be motivating. Then do it for real.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
We will just have to agree to disagree. I can only advice on my experience.
I agree with the finding a faster cycling partner approach: it has always worked for me. I tend to be a solitary rider, though, so my usual approach to training is just to do lots of distance, climbing and/or intervals, and to always keep pushing myself a little bit out of my comfort zone.

tatr

I find that cycling in central London is good interval training - lots of lights to give you a rest, and lots of demented traffic to dodge which really gets your heart rate up. Much more interesting than timed intervals on flat roads.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whatever you do ... safety first.

You're trying to improve your times over a route with light controlled junctions and traffic, which doesn't sound ideal as speed and safety could come into conflict. Why not figure out a local TT course, with fewer hazards and potential stop points, and periodically test yourself on that?

At least you're less likely to get SMIDSY'd on a Wattbike.

Top Bottom