Bike under lorry at Ludgate Circus - Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
hope she is ok. im glad i dont have to cycle in a city anymore!

sidevalve

Über Member
All fine but WHAT HAPPENED ? No point jumping to conclusions and ranting about roads/skip lorrys/junctions etc until there are FACTS to deal with.

Colin_P

Guru
That is so sad.

I'm quite new here and was wondering there is a big massive sticky somewhere at the frontend / gateway to the forum that gives vital safety information for novices i.e.

"Never filter on the left of heavy vehicles, they cannot see you and due to their turning circle they will cut corners and you will get horrifically crushed. Don't put yourself in danger"

Or words to that effect. What is obvious to us isn't for many.

Having read this and every time I read about one it gives me a cold shiver and makes me feel sick.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That is so sad.

I'm quite new here and was wondering there is a big massive sticky somewhere at the frontend / gateway to the forum that gives vital safety information for novices i.e.

"Never filter on the left of heavy vehicles, they cannot see you and due to their turning circle they will cut corners and you will get horrifically crushed. Don't put yourself in danger"

Or words to that effect. What is obvious to us isn't for many.

Having read this and every time I read about one it gives me a cold shiver and makes me feel sick.
Commuting Forum has a sticky with similar advice.

Tynan

Veteran
I like to think I'm an experienced and sound London commuter, I came into Ludgate Circus from the East a few months ago and found it a rather alarming junction I have to say, the approach was dodgy but once onto the junction there's a lot of it and it's hard to read with an awful lot of open space pulling traffic off to the left

as for filtering to the left of skip trucks, yes, but if they come up from behind you and then hang left there's not much you can do about that other than be in a strong position but that's not awfully practical in London traffic and a lot of riders aren't that savvy or confident

You have to be very assertive with this bit of road. You cannot faff about, or change your mind once you've set off. I've had one or two 'truck touches' there over the years. It's disconcerting, but it happens. The amount of odd shaped, or massive trucks has increased since crossrail started as well.

albion

Guru
Very sad.

“She was a very experienced cyclist and she rode all the time when she was in Germany."
"She was the 10th cyclist to die in London this year, the fourth whose death involved an HGV and the second to die in six months at Ludgate Circus"

I have doubts that anything equips you for London. It is insane cycling there at so so many interpoints.

Top Bottom