Bike under lorry at Ludgate Circus - Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nearside mirrors not properly adjusted, did not check the Trixi mirror on the traffic light, and thought the traffic light he stopped at for 23secs was green and not red. He also states Janina died there and then, when we know the emergency paramedics did an amazing job (open heart surgery) by the roadside and she was taken to hospital where she died some days later.

At least Doyle comforted her by the roadside, but this was after a witness overheard him shouting: "Oh my God, You stupid girl, didn't you hear I was turning left?".

Why did he say she died at the scene, if he knows it's a fact she died in hospital a few days later?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Why did he say she died at the scene, if he knows it's a fact she died in hospital a few days later?

Her heart stopped beating at the scene and the paramedics/Doctor pumped her heart by hand - perhaps he was led away and that created some confusion. However, it really does highlight how little he recalls of the event (apart from his clear recollection that he checked his mirror 5 or 6 times before turning left).

Last edited:

simonsch

Ce5JmqCWAAAysRV.jpg-large.jpeg

simonsch

Yes, this was mentioned upthread. It remains unclear if they are the same person.
Sorry, missed that. Hopefully we will find out.

Is it a lane or not? It makes no sense, the argument spirals up into nothing. There's a cycle lane. The cyclist did nothing wrong. Ffs cyclists get enough grief about using cycle lanes. So Janina was using the cycle lane. It's a lane. The clue's in the name. She was in her lane and the driver turned across her and the legal system says "Ah, you see it isn't a lane. She might have been confused with Germany". It is a lane. Janina had priority. If I'm in a lane to the right of a driver in his lane and I turn left and hit the car it's my fault. Obviously. This makes no sense. It suggests cycle lanes should be ignored.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Whilst it is uncorroborated and hardly compelling evidence, the girlfriend of Reidar 'Danny' Farr who was killed by a HGV driven by a Vincent Doyle in 1999 stated here: http://www.dccourier.com/messengers/lbma_list_2004/msg00107.html that Vincent Doyle had only had a HGV licence for 4 months at the time of the fatality. This does not tally with the recent accounts in the papers where it is said stated that the Vincent Doyle who killed Janina Gelau in 2014 had held a HGV licence for 25 years.

If they are one in the same, I cannot imagine why, in the 2016 trial, it would be mentioned that he had an "unblemished driving record".

simonsch

Also, Vince seems to have gone back and forth between the UK and Ireland a bit, which may affect things (I'm not sure how HGV licensing works).

@Origamist there are different reports as to how long Doyle held a licence.

The reporting itself is imprecise and the reported testimony i.e. "Doyle said he had held a spotless driving licence for 20 years and had begun riding a tractor from the age of 14." could be very specifically worded to give a favourable impression.

It would be unusual but not impossible for a driver of Doyle's age to obtain an HGV licence prior to what was then the minimum age of 21.

Top Bottom