Bike under lorry at Ludgate Circus - Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru

Tynan

Veteran
perhaps very experienced but that doesn't mean she was experienced with London rush hour traffic and junctions and road layout.

Tynan

Veteran
I rode through from the East again last week on a lumbering Boris Bike with a slipping gear but forewarned was forearmed, as long as you get out from a confident postion and pick up the line to straight on early it's fine but if you do anything like hug the left, you're very quickly in a lot of open space all going to the left turn

J1888

Über Member
The BBC2 programme 'An Hour to Save Your Life' tonight featured this incident, in a very sad departure from the optimism of its title. Her family must have given permission for the showing of very explicit footage of the surgery carried out at the roadside, when a doctor performed open heart massage. The heroic way in which the HEMS team, paramedics, and trauma surgeons at the Royal London fought in vain to save this young woman named Janina was both astounding and very moving.

Jesus :-( Fair play indeed to the Dr, terrible what happened to the poor girl. I cycle that junction every day and it's a bad one indeed.

subaqua

What’s the point
The BBC2 programme 'An Hour to Save Your Life' tonight featured this incident, in a very sad departure from the optimism of its title. Her family must have given permission for the showing of very explicit footage of the surgery carried out at the roadside, when a doctor performed open heart massage. The heroic way in which the HEMS team, paramedics, and trauma surgeons at the Royal London fought in vain to save this young woman named Janina was both astounding and very moving.

I watched that with the missus , she turned white.

I am so glad that they didn't fall into the helmet trap though as it was not mentioned once.

if anybody who cycles in London has some shrapnel in their pocket , dropping it into the London air ambulance fund will be greatly appreciated. https://londonsairambulance.co.uk/donate
My work bonus went into the 2nd heli fund this year.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Definitely. I watched it on iPlayer yesterday and it was incredibly harrowing and inspiring at the same time. I was teary by the end when her mother and husband talked about Janina's all too short life.

The driver, Vincent Doyle, 44, of Brent, has been summoned to appear at City of London magistrates’ court on July 13 over allegations he caused the death by careless driving.

perhaps very experienced but that doesn't mean she was experienced with London rush hour traffic and junctions and road layout.

Got to agree,knowing the road layout and how it all works on a certain route does help a bit as you know where the likely problems will be and act accordingly.Still,you can always get caught out by unexpected hazards.(as I have found out,myself)

R.I.P

The driver, Vincent Doyle, 44, of Brent

Danny" Reidar Farr, killed October 1, 1999, junction of Westbourne Grove and Hereford Road, by a left turning skip lorry, driven by Vincent Doyle, operated by PowerDay. Despite witness evidence that driver failed to signal, court acquitted driver."

autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/oct04/oct11news2

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Awful - the junction needs to be re-designed, really. Never had an incident myself there - using it twice a day for 7 years but I can see how it can be a nightmare. Too much happening and the ped crossing light sequence on Farringdon Rd/New Bridge St needs to be changed. Too many issues when you're turning left from the hill towards the bridge.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Tipper driver in court accused of causing the death of Janina Gelhau by turning left across her as she rode along cycle lane.

“She was on a pedal cycle at the near side of the lorry. Mr Doyle turned left activating an automatic speaker system which said ‘this vehicle is turning left’. Ms Gehlau was also travelling south and wanted to go straight on in the cycle lane south along Farringdon Street. She was riding her bike along the cycle lane when the lorry collided with Ms Gehlau.”

GC

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"He said: “At first I was angry, thinking ‘what is this person doing?’ but once I got closer I saw how injured she was.

“I was taking her pulse, chatting to her all the time. I was holding her hand, telling her ‘please hang on’. We were chatting away. And then she died. She died just as the ambulance got there"

It's so sad reading this. One day we could set off and never return. Take care out there!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Nearside mirrors not properly adjusted, did not check the Trixi mirror on the traffic light, and thought the traffic light he stopped at for 23secs was green and not red. He also states Janina died there and then, when we know the emergency paramedics did an amazing job (open heart surgery) by the roadside and she was taken to hospital where she died some days later.

At least Doyle comforted her by the roadside, but this was after a witness overheard him shouting: "Oh my God, You stupid girl, didn't you hear I was turning left?".

Last edited:
Top Bottom