Husband of cyclist killed by London lorry cries as driver is acquitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Judge Gerald Gordon said: “I would like it to be made absolutely clear to the family that the verdict of the jury does not imply any form of criticism of Gehlau.”

He added that it may be that the differing rules of the road from Germany were “a factor”.

:wacko:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I really didn't appreciate the way the media played up the driver's suffering.

Perhaps we need a new offence : Causing death whilst driving, equivalent to the lower end of manslaughter and thus take the subjectivity of dangerous, or, in this case, careless, out of it? Because if it takes juries less than an hour to decide about cases like these then I begin to despair.

Last edited:

sidevalve

Über Member
Very sad BUT once again we have a case of a rider going up the left hand side of a left turning vehicle. I mean why ? It was stood for a long time at lights - it didn't just swing around. In 23 seconds I could have WALKED the length of that truck so she came from behind it and CHOSE to go on the left.
Germany lorry drivers are expected to look where they're fecking well going.
And maybe cyclists are supposed to think. Every form of cycle training even back when I were a lad and including the highway code says DON'T do it but they still do No this is not 'victim blaming' it is a stupid thing to do. Stuff expecting the driver to see you - it's just simple self preservation and I'm afraid common sense.

Tin Pot

Guru
Very sad BUT once again we have a case of a rider going up the left hand side of a left turning vehicle. I mean why ? It was stood for a long time at lights - it didn't just swing around. In 23 seconds I could have WALKED the length of that truck so she came from behind it and CHOSE to go on the left.

And maybe cyclists are supposed to think. Every form of cycle training even back when I were a lad and including the highway code says DON'T do it but they still do No this is not 'victim blaming' it is a stupid thing to do. Stuff expecting the driver to see you - it's just simple self preservation and I'm afraid common sense.

Once again, lots of criticism of the victim.

People are stupid, and do stupid things - this is life. If you choose to wield an enormous truck through London you had better have learned this before doing so or you will kill people. Like this guy has.

You drive the truck, you take great farking care with it.

Tin Pot

Guru
What part of the phrase 'not guilty' do you not understand?

That sounds flippant, but the jury does not explain its verdict to anyone, thus there is no explanation available.

What part of "explain" don't you understand.

Stop being such a ...........

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

sorry but that is victim blaming.

stupidity is not meant to be a death sentence.

boydj

Legendary Member
I think that what this tragedy illustrates is the difference in culture between cycling in Britain and cycling on the continent where there are more cyclists, much higher awareness from drivers to the presence of cyclists and much less of the 'me first' attitude from drivers.

Top Bottom