Husband of cyclist killed by London lorry cries as driver is acquitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What part of "explain" don't you understand.
I'm not sure who you are expecting an explanation from. As it was a jury verdict, we are never going to know more than "not guilty". They are not allowed to talk about it.

---
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...ze-opportunity-to-improve-safety-9810327.html

Lonestar

Veteran
Yet another in a hurry to get to the traffic light yet again to spend 23 seconds there because I take it they were red or perhaps he wanted to light up his ciggy (sic)...How many times is there a dodgy overtake to catch the same vehicle up yet again at lights because people can't read ahead..

Sorry don't want to cause offence by this post but it's what I see on my commutes (as others do) day after day regardless of which vehicle is being driven...

J1888

Über Member
Do we know for certain that the indicator was on? Reports say he turned left, activating the warning announcement, which is not quite the same thing. @glenn forger has a link to this driver's previous conviction for the same thing, horrifyingly he was acquitted despite the fact that in that case he was not indicating.

I recall that Glenn foger found a link to a Vincent Doyle who was acquitted of death by dangerous driving (I think?) in 1999.

Exceptionally coincidental?

J1888

Über Member

That's the very one.

Is there any way that we can prove it's the same bloke? I'm just wary of any legal implications of saying that it's definitely the same fella 100%

davefb

Guru
Age seems right.. and locality same.. can't be that many vincent doyles...

Lonestar

Veteran
Very sad BUT once again we have a case of a rider going up the left hand side of a left turning vehicle. I mean why ? It was stood for a long time at lights - it didn't just swing around. In 23 seconds I could have WALKED the length of that truck so she came from behind it and CHOSE to go on the left.

And maybe cyclists are supposed to think. Every form of cycle training even back when I were a lad and including the highway code says DON'T do it but they still do No this is not 'victim blaming' it is a stupid thing to do. Stuff expecting the driver to see you - it's just simple self preservation and I'm afraid common sense.

Like motorists are supposed to think while they are chatting happily on their mobile phones.We are all supposed to look out for each other but it seems whatever sort of road user there is you know some of these people are pushing the old braincells, just driving the vehicle without doing other things or being able to read ahead as I have already stated..I know for a fact quite a majority of lorries or cars barely indicate half the time.What is that all about?

J1888

Über Member
It appeared that you had ignored my previous post about this issue. However, the quote of my post miraculously appeared in your contribution just after I posted in protest. You can find the definition of a TMN in Forum Abbreviations.

I haven't knowingly ignored any of your posts, no need to get antsy.

If it's the same guy (likely) then it makes a tragic situation even worse, but I would be interested to see if we could get solid proof to confirm that it's the same bloke.

And maybe cyclists are supposed to think. Every form of cycle training even back when I were a lad and including the highway code says DON'T do it but they still do No this is not 'victim blaming' it is a stupid thing to do.
[RANT ON]
Sorry, but this leaves me seething.

How the fark is somebody a month into a country to be expected to second guess the rank incompetence of generations of road engineers, the gross negligence of local and central government, and the aggressive culture of driving in Britain.

Surprise, folks - it's NOT actually stupid ......... to assume a cycle lane has been professionally and safely designed, with appropriate legislation about giving way to vulnerable road users in cycle lanes, and with appropriately aggressive standards of sentencing for lorry drivers who don't know what their Trixi mirror is, and whose other mirrors were imperfectly adjusted.

Unless of course, as most of us have been, one is thoroughly institutionalised into the madness on Britain's roads.
[RANT OFF]

As you were, friends!

400bhp

Guru
Is you getting killed by another person how?

It was kind of my point.

We would probably mostly accept the stupidity of going out in a thunderstorm with an umbrella. Partly because the weather is what it is. You can't change it, it's just accepted.

Many people accept that deaths occur from driving/drivers because driving is seem as a normal event, not dissimilar to the weather. Which is disheartening.

If a cyclist overtook their car then swung left and struck their vehicle I expect those jury members would scream blue murder.

Top Bottom