Bike under lorry at Ludgate Circus - Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
@Origamist there are different reports as to how long Doyle held a licence.

The reporting itself is imprecise and the reported testimony i.e. "Doyle said he had held a spotless driving licence for 20 years and had begun riding a tractor from the age of 14." could be very specifically worded to give a favourable impression.

It would be unusual but not impossible for a driver of Doyle's age to obtain an HGV licence prior to what was then the minimum age of 21.

As ever, the reporting varies, and I take your point that the defence will put a spin on his experience (just as the report from the partner of "Danny" Farr could be inaccurate), but the lack of conscience and chutzpah to declare in court that he had an "unblemished driving record" if he had previously been involved and acquitted in similar circumstances is surprising to say the least (but that may be due to my naivete of the court process).

Origamist

Legendary Member
Harsh. Seeing as her post is in most parts a request for clarity of information after losing her boyfriend.

It's best not to engage with Steve on threads of this nature.

If the Mods feel the last page or so should be merged with the thread in General Cycling, I would have no objection as I can see this is not the most suitable thread to continue this discussion/speculation.

There doesn't seem to be any actual contradiction between the Guardian articles and the girl friend's letter. He has a "clean licence", which means no convictions not no collisions. And "driving for 20 years" which means since he got his car licence, not necessarily HGV

Origamist

Legendary Member
There doesn't seem to be any actual contradiction between the Guardian articles and the girl friend's letter. He has a "clean licence", which means no convictions not no collisions. And "driving for 20 years" which means since he got his car licence, not necessarily HGV

That's true - the discrepancy is with other news reports that state he held a HGV licence for 25 years. This suggests the two cannot be the same (if we accept the remarks of the girlfriend of the late "Danny" Farr and the recent press reports).

Last edited:
Top Bottom