Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I went to donate, but as soon as I showed them my tattoos, they chucked me out

It may have had something to do with where my tattoos are though:whistle:

Last edited:

rikki

Legendary Member
I'm not allowed to give blood in Germany because I was in the UK over six months during the BSE crisis.

I've never understood why this is, after all BSE did come into Germany briefly as well, or why I can still carry an organ donor card, but there we go...
Ditto
I can't donate in Australia for the same reason. So they've not had any blood from me since.
I'd never thought about the organ donor aspect. I'm registered as an organ donor and have it noted on my drivers licence, but I've never been asked any questions.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Just looked on Google at the NHS page about giving blood, apparently anyone who has had a transfusion since 1980 cant give due to potentially transmitting vCJD, variant Creutzfeldt - Jakob disease

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And i can take my bike in. (not right next to me as I get drained out, obv, but into the building.)
I was asked if I cycled and said yes to which I was strongly advised not to ride to and from my appointment

Can't donate any more due to being diagnosed with asthma fifteen years ago.

I'd love to donate as my wife's life was saved by the donations of others ten years ago but I understand why I can't.

OP
OP
The Bystander

The Bystander

Über Member
At first I thought this thread had backfired with the not so positive replies but well done if you've tried. If they don't want your blood there's not much you can do about it and, if you've given it a go and it's not (or no longer) for you, so be it, you gave it a go and deserve praise for that.

For those who don't want to donate for whatever reason, there's loads worthy causes I don't donate to, so no criticism from me.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was asked if I cycled and said yes to which I was strongly advised not to ride to and from my appointment
Same here. I still do though but I have to promise to ride slowly. Not a problem, that's my normal speed anyway.
They kind of gathered that I'd ridden there as my bike was in full view and I was carrying my helmet.
No comments re riding there, or back, tbh, but I did tell them I only had a couple of miles to home. I think they know me by now, anyway, as it's the same lovely bunch of NHS staff.

At first I thought this thread had backfired with the not so positive replies but well done if you've tried. If they don't want your blood there's not much you can do about it and, if you've given it a go and it's not (or no longer) for you, so be it, you gave it a go and deserve praise for that.

For those who don't want to donate for whatever reason, there's loads worthy causes I don't donate to, so no criticism from me.

The day I found out I couldn't donate here, I was initially the only person from my carpentry course to go. I went back to the lesson and 20 minutes later they sent the two prettiest nurses to the carpentry department to see who they could persuade: the workshop emptied in seconds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom