Bottom bracket play

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Thanks is a useful article.
I think I will order from Chain reactions as when you hit the English version by deault you have to have the 68/73mm option, as it comes with spacers. I just don't have a torque wrench.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Aren't they pretty inexpensive? I use a beam torque wrench for headsets and the like, think it cost me $7 US. Or you could borrow one from a fellow who works on cars.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Don't bother with a torque wrench, I seem to remember BBs simply need to be F Tight on the Sheldon scale. That's as tight as you can without putting so much force through it that you're scared you're going to break something. It's beyond "snug" but this side of " eye-popping"

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Lol, I'll remember that. is it worth me having a smaller torque wrench for other bits of the bike?

Don't bother with a torque wrench, I seem to remember BBs simply need to be F Tight on the Sheldon scale. That's as tight as you can without putting so much force through it that you're scared you're going to break something. It's beyond "snug" but this side of " eye-popping"

Cubist

Still wavin'
Lol, I'll remember that. is it worth me having a smaller torque wrench for other bits of the bike?
If you're going to get into it big time, then yes. Superstar and On One do reasonably priced tools, and I picked up a barely used torque wrench recently as I had a carbon bike to build. I was surprised to discover that I was over-sympathetic on some fasteners, particularly on stem and steerer bolts.

I tend to build and tighten by "feel" and for interfaces that need grip I use assembly paste anyway. My test for example for stem to steerer mounting is to tighten and tap.... I want the bars to rotate in an impact rather than take out the top of the steerer.... so I nudge the bars to see how much force it takes to get them to shift. Similarly I want a seatpost to grip, but if it's one that gets released and tightened a lot I want to make sure it doesn't flare or misshape. The balance point between slipping and staying upright with my Clydesdale class arse on it is pretty fine.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Assembly paste, yes I have heard of that. I have a carbon frame but Alu bars, I just thought it was good practice if I used one. Saying that the guys at Evans cycles didn't use one on my MTB a couple of years ago, they just used "the feel". Cheers Andy

If you're going to get into it big time, then yes. Superstar and On One do reasonably priced tools, and I picked up a barely used torque wrench recently as I had a carbon bike to build. I was surprised to discover that I was over-sympathetic on some fasteners, particularly on stem and steerer bolts.

I tend to build and tighten by "feel" and for interfaces that need grip I use assembly paste anyway. My test for example for stem to steerer mounting is to tighten and tap.... I want the bars to rotate in an impact rather than take out the top of the steerer.... so I nudge the bars to see how much force it takes to get them to shift. Similarly I want a seatpost to grip, but if it's one that gets released and tightened a lot I want to make sure it doesn't flare or misshape. The balance point between slipping and staying upright with my Clydesdale class arse on it is pretty fine.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

The new BB has arrive. I've removed the old one and measured the shell, it is 68mm. Now the new BB is designed for 68/73 shells. What I am not sure of is do I use the two spacers supplied with the BB or not.

I figured it out, it looks like you use the spacer for when fitting a 68mm shell.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
The new BB has arrive. I've removed the old one and measured the shell, it is 68mm. Now the new BB is designed for 68/73 shells. What I am not sure of is do I use the two spacers supplied with the BB or not.

I figured it out, it looks like you use the spacer for when fitting a 68mm shell.
Indeed. The spacers will be 2.5mm. You need to know which side to put them on. My guess is one each side, (unless you have any e-fitting accessories already attached to the BB. )

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

When the lbs thought they were doing me a favor they fitted a crank set that was not designed for my bike. So they had installed two spacers on the drive side because the chain was too close to the chain stay. So I have just fitted two that side as well. Now I know why there are some scratches on the chain stay neat where the chain crosses. I will post up a pic of what I mean.

Indeed. The spacers will be 2.5mm. You need to know which side to put them on. My guess is one each side, (unless you have any e-fitting accessories already attached to the BB. )

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Here are the marks on my chain stay.

Attachments

• DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom