Break upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have a cannondale synapse 2012 . Apparently I need long reach shimano R650. Chepeast Ive found then is £70. Can anyone suggest anything else that will fit. Thanks

I have a set of those on my winter bike and they are very good. I can't believe they are so expensive now.

Citius

It seems that you have been drinking the same stuff that yellowsaddle drinks :smile: you know all the answers.
I suggest you first read Dura Ace 7900 specs. I'm not one that takes these guidelines too seriously but in this case I know from experience. It's the pull ratio that is different but the difference makes a brilliant set of brakes into very poor set of brakes if not combined with 7900 levers. So much that Shimano went back on its design for the 9000 series.

The difference on calipers is not just materials and weight, maybe that is the case for same manufacturer, ie 105 and ultegra. Design is also an important difference between manufacturers. I've seen enough Tektro brakes to know they aren't at the same level as Shimano brakes. The other component that comes to mind that the difference is not just weight and material is QR Skewers where Shimano make the best skewers I know. I'm sure you will disagree with that too ;)

I think you're over-complicating it. You pull a wire - the brake operates. How well it operates might be open to debate, but like I said before - it's not going to 'not work'. The bike will still stop. In any case, nobody here is talking about Dura Ace level kit anyway.

I've pulled enough different caliper types in my time to know that pad material is critical, whereas subtle changes to design or material are not.

Citius

I don't because I've read a few post s saying that it doesn't make much of a difference
But you will now have read some other posts telling you that it makes a big difference - so for the sake of a few quid, why not give it a try? You might be surprised.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The pull ratio is different on older Shimano, if your cable is out the top of the lever it will have a more limited compatibility and will be pretty crap if not dangerous with newer Shimano calliper's. Basically if your brake cables runs under your bar tape you are good to go with any new version Shimano callipers. The newer lever (under bar routing) pull more cable. Out the top cable less

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just for info, I`v got Force brakes with swisstop pads and the difference to tektro calipers and pads is light years. However I suspect the pads are the main difference, i.e the clark universal pads which I have used i the past are just p...sh and wear the rims out.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I think you're over-complicating it. You pull a wire - the brake operates. How well it operates might be open to debate, but like I said before - it's not going to 'not work'. The bike will still stop. In any case, nobody here is talking about Dura Ace level kit anyway.

I've pulled enough different caliper types in my time to know that pad material is critical, whereas subtle changes to design or material are not.

I believe you are over complicating it. I'm sure I don't need to draw a picture to clarify "not work" as in not fitting and "not work" and in not compatible, very poor performance.

The reference to Dura Ace was made because you advised "any caliper would do" and I pointed out that not Dura Ace 7900 caliper. My point was very specific as in, don't mix 105 levers and Dura Ace 7900 calipers, simple enough I think.

Brake pads in general are pretty good unless they are of the cheap kind. You can buy some more specific pads for the wet or even for the type of rim ie carbon fibre which does improve the braking. For 105 brakes I'd would not go to the extra expense of new Swiss Stop, I don't ride in the rain and they don't last as log as the 105 type.

Since I was quite satisfied with the pads on the 105 calipers , I tried my spare set of brake pads on the Tektro brakes and the improvement wasn't good enough. I did consider getting some Swiss Stop pads but they were nearly three times the cost of my 105 pads and the reviews said they have a shorter life so I bought a set of Shimano R650 which I think are Utegra standard. No regrets at all.

The OP needs to do his sums and see how many pads is he likely to use before he replaces the bike. I figure that a set of Swiss Stop would cost "about" £10 more than 105 pads so if he is likely to use 3 or 4 sets of pads then my advice would be to get the R650, otherwise try better pads and see if it solves the problem.

105 caliper with 105 pads work far better than a 105 pad in a tektro caliper.

I know this, as I have a 105 caliper on the rear, and a tektro caliper on the front with 105 pads (until my new frame arrives and I can fit the 105 caliper on the front too). The rear has a noticeably stronger bite than the front, in fact, the tektro front feels like it doesn't really bite at all.

I have a cannondale synapse 2012 . Apparently I need long reach shimano R650. Chepeast Ive found then is £70. Can anyone suggest anything else that will fit. Thanks

£50 at Ribble. Agree with changing the pads first though - the Swissstop greens I've got on my summer bike are great, and I'll probably end up splashing out for some for the winter bike too despite the cost.

adamhearn

Veteran
I have an '11 Synapse with Tektro R538 calipers. At first I didn't find them that good [after quite a few miles on a hybrid with V brakes] but I've replaced the front pads with Swissstop and [with no scientific testing] they feel better. In reality I've probably gotten used to how the brakes are on the bike and they've never failed me.

Whether replacing one set of long drop calipers for another would be a worthwhile upgrade is hard to tell. The majority of 'reviews' or feedback concern standard drop calipers. The non series Shimano ones may be better but it's quite a sizeable investment to find out if they're not.

Top Bottom