Break upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

+1 for swissstop- haven't worn my set out yet and they stop in all conditions and don't wear rims so much

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Shimano own brand pads don't have a good reputation.......

I have been using them for years and I have to say that the pads that came with the 5700 calipers were better than before. My Dura Ace pads are brilliant or maybe the calipers make the difference. :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
Had Tektro brakes on my Winter Defy. Replaced with 105 calipers, but tried the pads first in the Tektro. Was slightly better than Tektro pads, but still not great. Swapped calipers over and fitted the Tektro pads. Braking on 105 calipers with Tektro pads was way better than braking on Tektro calipers with the 105 pads! Swapped 105 pads into 105 calipers and the difference was night and day!

Personally, from the above I think it's fair to say that pads can make a difference, but not more than replacing with different calipers. As you move up the range, then marginal gains kicks in, but certainly not at basic Tektro level. ;)

adamhearn

Veteran
Whilst I respect the opinion, the elephant in the room is that saying 105 calipers are great [compared to Tektro] is of no use as the op needs long drop calipers. If someone posts that the non series ones as linked are excellent compared to the Tektro's the op has already then that would add something more worthwhile.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Whilst I respect the opinion, the elephant in the room is that saying 105 calipers are great [compared to Tektro] is of no use as the op needs long drop calipers. If someone posts that the non series ones as linked are excellent compared to the Tektro's the op has already then that would add something more worthwhile.
I think you might have missed a few posts.
I think I was trying to stablish that Shimano brakes where superior to Tektro.
105 is the standard of comparison as the OP has 105 levers. It's clear that 105 would not fit.
Already commented on the aprroval of non series R650 brakes. I mentioned that I moved from Tektro to Tektro with 105 pads and then to R650 which are Ultegra equivalent and I'm very happy.

At this point the OP needs to decide which path to take. I'm kind of hoping he goes for the Swissstop pads ;)
I think they are excellent pads but in my book you need to look ahead and see if it makes sense to invest on something that if it partly solves the problem you still need to spend considerably more each time you need new pads. On the other hand, the R650 are very good with the standard pads.

adamhearn

Veteran
I think you might have missed a few posts.
You're right; I skipped a large number as there seemed to be more strutting then information provision :smile: However, I do see that you have got a set of non series brakes and rate them.

I'd agree that the op should at least try different (known to be better) pads but at the end of the day they may just want to "upgrade". Personally speaking rim brakes are adequate in that we soon get used to what they do/don't do.

bpsmith

Veteran
You're right; I skipped a large number as there seemed to be more strutting then information provision :smile: However, I do see that you have got a set of non series brakes and rate them.

I'd agree that the op should at least try different (known to be better) pads but at the end of the day they may just want to "upgrade". Personally speaking rim brakes are adequate in that we soon get used to what they do/don't do.
Why should we just get used to it? Accepting that brakes are poor, just because we have got used to them is unacceptable to me.

Top Bottom