Breaking News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
OK Cx'ers I have medium frame, my daughter wants to use it during summer retirement but she is a bit stretched on the hoods. I think it has 110mm stem. So seems it would be better to put a 90mm stem so could someone suggest a stem for me? I assume it is an easy switch?

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Any oversized stem (31.8mm) will do you ..this is a good offer :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Ok good news on the replacement FSA bearings, they must have switched suppliers as the old bearings (fitted in the bike) didn't have a permanent seal on one side of them, when you removed the covers, the new ones do, also the old bearings have a black ball bearing ring (holds the ball bearings in place) the new ones have a Grey one.

Ok good news on the replacement FSA bearings, they must have switched suppliers as the old bearings (fitted in the bike) didn't have a permanent seal on one side of them, when you removed the covers, the new ones do, also the old bearings have a black ball bearing ring (holds the ball bearings in place) the new ones have a Grey one.
Are these the BB30's Norm?

I had heard there was a dodgy batch of bearings knocking around last year, and I guess there could still be some rougue ones out there. I've decided to swap to HTII or GXP now, therefore eradicating the problem full stop, but TBH I am hearing that once replaced people seem to getting decent life out the new bearings, good luck with them :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Yes mate I believe these new bearings I bought are the improved ones or FSA have switched suppliers. I noticed a few differences with the new bearings over the old ones ... old ones had no permanent seal under the grey cover plates and also the ball bearing ring holder itself was black. These new ones do have a permanent seal (dark brown plastic) under one side of the grey cover plate and also the ball bearing ring itself is grey.

I'm going to install these new ones with the seal on the inside of the BB30 shell (I marked that side of the bearing with a permanent marker) and I'll add a bead of grease to the inner side of the bearing once installed. Should leave me with easy access should I need to re-grease them in future to the open side of the bearings.

I'll let you know how they perform as a few outings :smile:

I also employed an old trick I've learned from my speedway days
1. heat the bearings with a hair dryer
2. use a power drill on a low speed (hold vertical with chuck closed)
3. add a small amount of grease to the bearing then hold the bearing against the drill chuck head and let it the inner race rotate a number of times
4. repeat again with a little more grease (not too much)
5. replace the bearing covers and re-heat with the hair dryer
6. let them cool again overnight

20 miler today and the bearings are as smooth as silk, I'm pleased to say :thumbsup: 25 miler tomorrow for another test ride ;)
Happy days. I've chased the shop today as mine still haven't arrived, but truth be told I still don't know which way to go TBH :wacko:

Quick Q. Did you use the CRC bearing removal tool? If so I've looked at how it sits against the bearing, and it has the domed recess on the back, but what did you use to actually remove them, and how much force was needed?

My bearings came yesterday, but I've still not decided whether to fit them or convert the BB, but I have ordered an FSA BB adapter so I guess my head knows what I'll end up doing :wacko:

I'd guess they are the same ones you received? They've got the grey outer cover, and printed on the side is FSA BB30 J 1

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
My bearings came yesterday, but I've still not decided whether to fit them or convert the BB, but I have ordered an FSA BB adapter so I guess my head knows what I'll end up doing :wacko:

I'd guess they are the same ones you received? They've got the grey outer cover, and printed on the side is FSA BB30 J 1

yes they are the newer smoother and better bearings you've bought, the older knacker bearings have the code 6806 2RS printed on them.

I have to admit the newer bearings are super smooth, I've put 70 miles on them so far this week and not a single glitch or noise has come from them (old ones made a terrible noise before 40 miles), even pedaling seems a lot smoother than it was before, I'll not really know until I put a few hundred miles on them, but I'm confident I'll have no trouble from the new bearings for some time to come :thumbsup:

It's made the CX a joy to ride again

theloafer

Legendary Member
yes they are the newer smoother and better bearings you've bought, the older knacker bearings have the code 6806 2RS printed on them.

I have to admit the newer bearings are super smooth, I've put 70 miles on them so far this week and not a single glitch or noise has come from them (old ones made a terrible noise before 40 miles), even pedaling seems a lot smoother than it was before, I'll not really know until I put a few hundred miles on them, but I'm confident I'll have no trouble from the new bearings for some time to come :thumbsup:

It's made the CX a joy to ride again

^_^ ...well if mine go,s tits up i know who to take it to....:laugh:

jamin100

Guru
I've got one :smile:
great bike. Want to change the tyres on mine.

So far changed to a specialized saddle, added topeak mtx dxp bag, btwin count 8 computer, 2 Cree front lights and an rsp astrum rear light

522f076e-a913-342d.jpg
522f076e-a91f-a5af.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334487372.313781.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334487372.313781.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 68
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334487395.130025.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334487395.130025.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom