Buying a goldfish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I recall Ken Livingstone banning goldfish in bags at fairs held on land owned by the Greater London Council.

The ban was in response to the fact that those bags the fish are kept in dont hold enough oxygen in the water to keep the fish alive and healthy I think they said there was only enough oxygen from 40mins to 1hr. Hence the ban,

Where my nan lives in hemel hempstead theres a massive park there with a little stream that goes around it that hosts a big fun fair twice a year... I used to go there in my younger days but i sh*t you not there is so many unwanted goldfish in that stream they have probably had all out turf wars with the native sticklebacks and have most likely replaced them in the streams ecosystem all together.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can buy cigs and alcohol without being interrogated by the cashier most of the time unless you look underage.
At pets at home? Not the Croydon one but I think there's a corner shop close by ;)

My last goldfish was when I was a small child and yes, I won him on a fair in more naive times. Got him a bowl and rocks and everything. He was a most entertaining goldfish, moving his gravel around and always active. Anyway, I went off for a week and upon my return my entertaining goldfish had become a placid swimmer. I was disappointed.

Years later it was confessed to me that while I was away my fairground goldfish had turned over and popped his goldfish clogs, whereupon a panicked family had legged it down to City pets and purchased a dead ringer which took a bit of catching with the net apparently. No, not that one, that one, they explained to the exasperated assistant.

doog

[QUOTE 4433075, member: 76"]

I am very glad animal standards have risen greatly, but really, the date of birth of someone at least, er 21 :blush:, to buy two goldfish?

[/QUOTE]

haha that explains my 18 year old being told she couldn't buy one to add to her collection. You can get married, vote , have kids ....yes give birth and raise a little human

...but cant buy a goldfish...

I think these little feckers must have a bloody good Union ^_^

[QUOTE 4433075, member: 76"]Well, crikey, the process of purchasing a goldfish has changed hasn't it?

I went with MissUser76 to purchase two this afternoon for her newly set-up bowl. I think it would have been easier and less traumatic to adopt a small child from an orphanage!

We have the tank ready, and the water sorted, so we were all prepped and ready for anything...........

PetsAtHomeLady "Do you have a tank ready?"
Me "Yes"
-Filter?
-Yes
-What capacity is the tank
-Er, like that one (points at similar tank)
-Oh, 20l? Well we recommend 36l per fish, goldfish grow to 35cm and live for approximately 25 to 30 years
-Eh? Do they really? Why do you sell 20l tanks with 2 fish included then?
-We don't
-You do, it says so here!
-That's an offer though. What sort of filter do you have?
-One that came with the tank
-We don't recommend them, we recommend this one (picks up £27.99 filter)
-We're good thanks. Now two goldfish please.
-But you can't keep two in that space, it's too small
-You have approximately 30 in this tank, and it's tiny
-Yes, but these are for sale
-Can I have two of them please?
-What food are you thinking of feeding them?
-Fish food, two please?
-Hold on, I have to put some details in this iPad
-Name, address, postcode, phone number, email, date of birth
-I just want two goldfish
-A few more things, what room will they be in
-Just forget it............at which point we left

I am very glad animal standards have risen greatly, but really, the date of birth of someone at least, er 21 :blush:, to buy two goldfish?

It'll be a funfair and sticking three different cards to get the goldfish I think :okay:[/QUOTE]

Love it! This belongs in the genius "Conversation from your day" thread. :laugh:

Don't forget to stir them twice a day to keep them fit. The resulting whirlpool is a kind of fish treadmill.

Graham

outlash

also available in orange
I would llove this type of tank. Too much costr wise to keep for me at moment though

masanao-shibuya-sps-acropora-reef-tank-2.jpe

It's an awful lot of hard work and unless you really know what you're doing, you can an do kill a fair few animals. Then there's the electric consumption....

I went to our local independent pet shop where I was told lots that contradicts with Pets at Home including;

Don't chemically treat the water, just fill the tank and start the filter and wait at a minimum 24 hours, at this point the chlorine levels etc will have dropped enough for the fish to tolerate it - chemically treating can cause issues with the fish, if there is an issue, we can treat it but the less chemicals the better for the fish.

I was also allowed to buy three fish for a 21L tank without issue.

The fish seem very happy and active unlike the ones we had from pets at home a few years previous.

Top Bottom