Bye Bye Bye .......... Delilah

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You are clearly one of the many who have been suckered into believing that is a thing to be enjoyed.
Go to the pub and sit in silence you silly Welshmen!
One of my first experiences of Wales was going to a rural pub, and finding that the evening's entertainment was a piano and a pile of well thumbed hymn books. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

That's a song?
The song is Myfanwy, from the film Twintown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Town

No-one has ever experienced the auditory delights of a welsh male voice choir. Because there are none.
What?!!!!

subaqua

What’s the point
One of my first experiences of Wales was going to a rural pub, and finding that the evening's entertainment was a piano and a pile of well thumbed hymn books. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

The song is Myfanwy, from the film Twintown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Town

What?!!!!
aww FFS can you be consistent please.

you are not supposed to make good posts.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing Chris Bryant get beaten severely as he tries to stop 30,000 Welshman breaking into song. That'd be like trying to stop the Koreans eating dog, or Kanye West being a twot.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It pains me slightly, but I have to give [Smurfy] credit for a half-decent title. No-one is actually attempting to ban 'Delilah', of course, and it isn't a campaign against a song, but an illustrative example of misogyny being so cheerfully embedded in popular culture that most people don't even see it, in the context of a Commons debate about the role of men in preventing violence against women. The text of the debate is here. The pleasure involved in a Welsh rugby crowd belting out the song (goddammit, it's catchy) is a complex phenomenon that isn't reducible to a mass endorsement of the protagonist's self-justification for his violence in the lyric. Scanning rugby crowds for the men who sing it with the most gusto is going to be a lousy guide to who will and who won't beat the crap out of his partner when he gets home. Neither should singers be treated as if first-person narrative voice automatically renders them morally responsible for the acts of a fictional murderer. On the other hand I don't see why people can't be asked or prompted to think about what they are singing, even if thinking about such things compromises their pleasure. I've always found the song troubling in an undeniably enjoyable way, precisely because it's so joyously persuasive in its self-pity and victim-blaming. In this sense it's completely authentic - one of the recurring stories we continue to tell ourselves about how it's women's fault that men abuse and kill them. Barring re-writing the melody, it will take an artist with a bit more edge than Tom Jones to render it with the bitter irony it deserves, but for selling it to us straight, he is the business. It's weird that the WRU compared it to Romeo & Juliet, when the much more obvious parallel is Othello (perhaps they just aren't across their Shakespeare). There's never been anything forcing writers, directors, actors or audiences to share Othello's repugnant conviction that the tragedy is about him, and depends on Desdemona's innocence, but it's still being reliably reproduced, well into the 21st century. Popular culture is always an easier target, though.

Last edited:
Stoke City fans sing it at their games as well. And also have a Welsh politician trying to get them to stop singing it. LINK

I've never been to Stoke so can't comment if the Potters have a large contingent of Welsh in their crowds.

subaqua

What’s the point
I shall also have to stop singing green green grass of home. Just in case I get the urge to be in a prison cell on death row.

And shall also not listen to " its cold outside" at Christmas. Just in case I want to keep a floozy at my house against her will and then get her into the sack as well.

Good post TC .

subaqua

What’s the point
I find it quite funny that Stella Artois. Aka wife beater is running a campaign for fresh water for the 3rd world called " buy a lady a drink"

Top Bottom