Can bikes always go wherever buses can go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Not sure if this video has been linked to anywhere yet:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1tE7pwJzUo

This is the view the cyclist had:

https://goo.gl/maps/U2qID

So while the cyclist did have a green light, they should have waited for the road to clear and not cycle purposefully into the side of a car with no sign of braking, was the right turn a legal turn or not?

The sign says "No right turn except for buses" - does that imply bikes and taxis are okay, or would that have to be explicitly called out?

It was Rochester in Kent, if that makes any difference.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends on the local regulations. If cycles aren't mentioned on the road markings and signs, they're not catered for.

Trickedem

Guru
This is in my town. There is lots of inconsistency with the signing of bus lanes to allow cycling. However in this case, the cyclist was clearly in the wrong and should have waited until the road was clear before turning right

Steady

Über Member
Interesting how the assumption of the video is that it was a red light run when the light on that side turned green well in advanced of this near side as can be seen by the cars moving off etc.

The cyclist moving instantly makes me think he knows the area or has local knowledge of the lights and thinks he can get across first or enough that the cars will give way to him and this time it didn't pay off. To me personally it would be an area I'd avoid completely because it's above the level of risk I'm happy to take , if that meant taking the next right and looping round then so be it. Legally a cyclist is not a bus, no right turns for cyclists in my book, same as there's places where motorcyclists aren't allowed in bus lanes.

Interestingly enough if you street view around the area you spot a white man van with a mobile stuck to his ear. ;)

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dont think either come out of it particularly well TBH. There's either a momentary filter on the cyclist Traffic Lights before the video POV ones change or the cyclist anticipated the green and chose to move a moment too early to beat the rush. Being half way across though, the car could have let him finish, IF they saw him. However it seemed pretty clear the car wasn't for stopping and so to not respond to that & cycle with such surety and purpose into the side of it does make me wonder what the cyclist was thinking and expecting. Maybe its a trick the rider tries a lot and this is the first time the car hasn't yielded, who knows.

Patience is a virtue.

Interesting how the assumption of the video is that it was a red light run when the light on that side turned green well in advanced of this near side as can be seen by the cars moving off etc.

The cyclist moving instantly makes me think he knows the area or has local knowledge of the lights and thinks he can get across first or enough that the cars will give way to him and this time it didn't pay off. To me personally it would be an area I'd avoid completely because it's above the level of risk I'm happy to take , if that meant taking the next right and looping round then so be it. Legally a cyclist is not a bus, no right turns for cyclists in my book, same as there's places where motorcyclists aren't allowed in bus lanes.

Interestingly enough if you street view around the area you spot a white man van with a mobile stuck to his ear. ;)

This is what I noted, If the cyclist had jumped a red light, then so did over a dozen cars.... why no comment on that?

+1 on the cyclist being a moron. The motorcyclist went past him and he still carried on.

Green means go if it's clear, it doesn't mean cycle earnestly into a dirty great vehicle slap bang in front of you like a perishing pimple head.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In about 1982 , in a bus lane in Camberwell, I had a shouted argument with a bus conductor on this subject. I on my bike, he on the platform of his bus.

The result was inconclusive.

Depends on the local regulations. If cycles aren't mentioned on the road markings and signs, they're not catered for.
My local council has traffic orders written 'no right turn except buses and cyclists' and legal cycle contraflows, etc (even have the infrastructure to enable them) but doesn't mention bikes on the signs or road markings; which can result in tensions with motorists :-( Most good council's do sign properly however and as its not signed in the OP I doubt it was legal for the cyclist either, it certainly wasn't safe :-O

Top Bottom