Can you cycle on any road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorfolkNewbie

Obvious question but I was watching something on telly last night (quality tv :laugh: - road wars or something like that!) and they were moaning about cyclists on busy roads... so my question is .. can we cycle on ANY road (even the busy, main ones) or just the quieter ones under national speed limit? I thought we could but now I am a bit confused!!

Thanks. :smile:

It's just motorways (and A road motorways, like the A1(M) at Peterborough) that we're not allowed on, as far as I know. They tried to prohibit cycling on the Dudley bypass in the West Midlands when they built it - there were signs saying "No Cycling" and everything - but the CTC soon sorted that out.

OP
OP
N

NorfolkNewbie

Ah I seeeee... thanks...although round where I live a lot of the roads turn into national speed limit roads so I'm not sure whether they're A roads or not. Hmm... Will have to have a lookie.

rh100

As far as I'm aware you can cycle anywhere except a motorway if your brave enough, unless specifically forbidden (sign or some such).

I would hazard a guess that the comment on that most intelligent and analytical of documentaries was basically said through ignorance :laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A roads are legal to cycle on - it's things like the A1(M) that aren't. Basically, if you cycle past a big blue sign with 'No cycles, L-drivers etc' then that's a bad move. Otherwise you're fine.
Edit : Cross-posted

OP
OP
N

NorfolkNewbie

rh100 said:
As far as I'm aware you can cycle anywhere except a motorway if your brave enough, unless specifically forbidden (sign or some such).

I would hazard a guess that the comment on that most intelligent and analytical of documentaries was basically said through ignorance :smile:

:laugh: Yes, you're probably right. I found it interesting that this seemed to be the common perception tho....

I have just found a separate thread about A roads so I will be following that with interest. :smile:

Thanks

Norm

NorfolkNewbie said:
Ah I seeeee... thanks...although round where I live a lot of the roads turn into national speed limit roads so I'm not sure whether they're A roads or not. Hmm... Will have to have a lookie.
I think RT's post is a bit confusing. You can cycle on any road except motorways and those which have signposts specifically banning bikes.

Cycling on A roads is fine.

NorfolkNewbie said:

National speed limit roads are fine for cycling. If the signs are blue and it's a dual carriageway, then it's a motorway and you're not allowed on it. But the A14, say, is perfectly legal to cycle on, although it's not a thing I'd care to do on a regular basis.

ChrisKH

Guru
No cycling on the new A130 in Essex. They had the perfect opportunity to build a cycle path the length of it when they built it. It says no cycling but I'm not certain who made that decision. It is less busy than the A12, which allows bikes, yet no bikes are allowed. Another one for the CTC? It would make getting to Chelmsford (and thus to Suffolk, Norfolk and the North) a lot easier by bike.

rh100

NorfolkNewbie said:

I think RT is referring to certain A roads, such as the A38(M), not all A roads. It's just that some A roads are more like motorways or join turn into motorways further along. I can cycle on the A45 no prob's. National speed limit doesn't prevent you riding there either - it's just a speed limit designation.

Norm

Rhythm Thief said:
Sorry, yes. The only reason I mention motorway A roads is that we once had someone asking if he could incorporate the A38(M) into his commute. Errr, no.:smile:
Yeah, I saw what you were trying to do but it looked like NN mis-understood you to mean all A roads.

IMO, roads which are A(M) roads are "motorways". I think that the distinction is structural only and for all road traffic laws, they are motorways. :laugh:

jimboalee

Some roads have a sign "Private".

These are roads where their upkeep is funded by the householders and landlords who own properties along that road.

They are not a public thoroughfare.

If you cycle up my front drive, you'll be shot.

Top Bottom