Can you cycle on any road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I am great believer than being passed by 44 tonnes of LGV going at his/her permitted maximum speed is a 'pleasure' I can do without in this short brutish life we lead... in order to keep it a slightly longer short brutish life....

thomas

the tank engine
TheDoctor said:
A roads are legal to cycle on - it's things like the A1(M) that aren't. Basically, if you cycle past a big blue sign with 'No cycles, L-drivers etc' then that's a bad move. Otherwise you're fine.
Edit : Cross-posted

A no cycling sign is a cycle within a red circle....

LeeW

As far as I know you can cycle down any public road unless you see either of these signs:

LeeW

From what I know, most roads in the UK are 'all purpose roads' which bikes have a right to use. In order to prohibit bikes a road must be designated as a 'special road' which requires a Statutory Instrument, all motorways are special roads but there are also a few others, edinburgh bypass springs to mind.

StuartG

slower but further
Remember that, with the exceptions above, cyclists & bicycles have a 'right to use' roads (and bridleways). Motorists & cars have to be both licensed.

Where there is a motorway and the alternative route would be lengthy - there may be a cycling provision eg the old Severn Bridge and the Dartford Crossing.

OP
OP
N

NorfolkNewbie

Thanks for all the replies.. had no idea this would turn into such a long thread! ;)

ASC1951

Guru
NorfolkNewbie said:
... such a long thread!
Long?

Try "If I cycle on an A Road, am I better with Campag or Shimano and should I be wearing a helmet?" Then just sit back. It's like lighting a Catherine wheel.

Garz

Squat Member
If you see this sign:

nocycle.jpg

It means no jimboalee! ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
TheDoctor said:
A roads are legal to cycle on - it's things like the A1(M) that aren't. Basically, if you cycle past a big blue sign with 'No cycles, L-drivers etc' then that's a bad move. Otherwise you're fine.
Edit : Cross-posted

Blue sign?? Someone needs to read their Highway Code! A blue sign with a bicycle on it is giving a positive instruction, i.e. if it is round then it is cycles only, if it rectangular, cycle lane. Road which are prohibited from using will have a round sign with a red border and a black bicycle on white background.

I often wonder if the people who make driving programs for TV actually have driving licences. Most of them seem to have such a poor knowledge of the law regarding driving and the Highway Code that they could not possible pass a driving test...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
andrew-the-tortoise said:
Sheffield Parkway is a 'No Cycling Road'; quite rightly so .

It is quite clearly marked on slip-roads with red-ringed 'no-cycling' signs - but unfortunately this does not deter a very few dullard cyclist from using it.

Actually, that's no true at all. Although nearly all of the Parkway is no cycling your assertion that it is clearly marked on all slip roads is factually wrong. The council made several very large oversights on that one.

Furthermore in my opinion the lower bits of the parkway aren't clear cut at all why cyclists should be banned and a slip road ban without going onto the parkway actually disproportionately penalises cyclists in the handsworth area.

Top Bottom