Can you cycle on any road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dude it's a motorway.

The speeds involved and the lack of attention from drivers are a huge risk as if it goes wrong it happens too fast to stop - the other risk is the other extreme known as target fixation.

People don't expect to see anything on the hard shoulder, they look at it and look at it until they drive right into it.

Drivers on the Paris Dakar rally used to drive into the oil drum route markers - when it was the only object in a 50 mile radius that it was even possible to drive into.

Can't be that dangerous. There were 'only' 150 deaths on UK motorways in 2008 and that figure's reduced since.

Zoiders

Can't be that dangerous. There were 'only' 150 deaths on UK motorways in 2008 and that figure's reduced since.
Because they have educated people to not stay with cars when they break down.

The reduction of deaths indicates effective policing and education, it does not indicate that it's safe to use the hard shoulder.

Because they have educated people to not stay with cars when they break down.

The reduction of deaths indicates effective policing and education, it does not indicate that it's safe to use the hard shoulder.

I think the small reduction from the low base is more liable to do with other factors, but my point was more in response to it being described as "one of the most dangerous places in the UK" which it clearly isn't. Not that I'd want to pedal on it.

41_08_74---Cyclist-Dismount-sign_web.jpg

Like the "Slow" marking on the approach to a bend, they seem to leave climbing on ans speeding up to your own discretion.

I've ignored dismount signs before where they are for narrow sections. I take up far less room sat on it than I do stood next to it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Like the "Slow" marking on the approach to a bend, they seem to leave climbing on ans speeding up to your own discretion.

I've ignored dismount signs before where they are for narrow sections. I take up far less room sat on it than I do stood next to it.

That's is the conundrum the authorities fail to address. There is a bridge locally over the A24. It is on a cycle route but has one of these delightful advisory "Cyclists Dismount" signs on it. If I dismount by the sign I block the bridge. If I wheel my bike over the bridge I block the bridge. If I ride the bike over the bridge others can pass, including, if they are careful, other cyclists.

Because of the nature of the folk in these parts, and their inability to understand simple sentences in conflict with their own narrow minded views, like "I do pay 'road tax'.", "It is an advisory sign.", "I am insured.", "This is a cycle route." and in extremis and only the once "Do you want some!?!", then when pedestrian are crossing I tend to stop short of the bridge, sit on my bike and wait.

Funny old life innit?

EDIT: there are another two on bridges in my orbit that have these signs because of flights of stairs. I just ride down the stairs.

That's is the conundrum the authorities fail to address. There is a bridge locally over the A24. It is on a cycle route but has one of these delightful advisory "Cyclists Dismount" signs on it. If I dismount by the sign I block the bridge. If I wheel my bike over the bridge I block the bridge. If I ride the bike over the bridge others can pass, including, if they are careful, other cyclists.

Because of the nature of the folk in these parts, and their inability to understand simple sentences in conflict with their own narrow minded views, like "I do pay 'road tax'.", "It is an advisory sign.", "I am insured.", "This is a cycle route." and in extremis and only the once "Do you want some!?!", then when pedestrian are crossing I tend to stop short of the bridge, sit on my bike and wait.

Funny old life innit?

EDIT: there are another two on bridges in my orbit that have these signs because of flights of stairs. I just ride down the stairs.

The obvious answer if questioned about the 'cyclist dismount' sign is "I did".

Powerhouse

Also, to continue the off topic conversations, why is it that when you have a perfectly nice road to cycle along, somebody always comes along and makes the worlds worst cycle path next to it? I forget what road I was on, but the aim was Oxford or Reading... Something liek that. The road was awesome. Smooth as the smoothest road I have ever had the good fortune of cycling along. Then along came a stupid cycle path. This path must have been purposefully created with huge pipes buried millimetres below the surface and was so incredibly painful to cycle along that it actually broke my pannier rack! Why would somebody ever make such a thing??

There is a reason for all of this angry ranting... Is it compulsory to actually use cycle paths if they are there or is it all at our discretion?

Cyclist33

Sheffield Parkway is a 'No Cycling Road'; quite rightly so .

It is quite clearly marked on slip-roads with red-ringed 'no-cycling' signs - but unfortunately this does not deter a very few dullard cyclist from using it.

Hands in the air. I was one such dullard when I lived there. The bit I took has no such signs and was no more dangerous than the A4074 I used to do when living in Oxford or anywhere else for that matter.

Stu

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as people have said - the A130 and the A120 have no cycling bits. As has the A12 in East London and the A470 in South Wales. You can't cycle the Dartford Crossings, the Limehouse Link and Blackwall Tunnel (I did the Blackwall once). The tunnel on the A4232 in Cardiff Bay is also non-cycling. Part of the A720 is no cycling

Dan_h

There is a reason for all of this angry ranting... Is it compulsory to actually use cycle paths if they are there or is it all at our discretion?

No, it is not compulsory to use cycle paths, it is at the cyclist discretion. There are several that I pass on the way to work each day but won't use. Generally because I believe they are more dangerous than the roads that they are alongside. Why do town planners think it is fine to put a blue shared usage sign on a narrow pavement thereby making it more dangerous for the cyclist AND the pedestrians???

martint235

Dog on a bike
as people have said - the A130 and the A120 have no cycling bits. As has the A12 in East London and the A470 in South Wales. You can't cycle the Dartford Crossings, the Limehouse Link and Blackwall Tunnel (I did the Blackwall once). The tunnel on the A4232 in Cardiff Bay is also non-cycling. Part of the A720 is no cycling

I cycled the Limehouse once years ago. It was only when I went in the vicinity of it recently with you that I realised I wasn't allowed to. The motorists at the time must have thought I was a nutter but I don't remember being beeped at or anything.

I've also been asked to leave the A2 by a highway patrol guy. It was just after Gravesend where the M2 joins the A2 (here) to form what is in all but name still a 6 lane motorway. The guy was friendly and pointed out that he had no right to ask me to leave but that he would feel much more comfortable if I wasn't on that stretch of road. I was planning on leaving by the next junction anyway.

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
...You can't cycle the Dartford Crossings, the Limehouse Link and Blackwall Tunnel (I did the Blackwall once)...

Not that I have tried it yet, but cyclists can apparently get a lift over the Dartford crossings free of charge. Just stop at the control point on either side and they will arrange for you and your bike to be taken across.

Top Bottom