Can you recommend me a cheap laptop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I work away a fair bit and my work's IT policy means I'm not even meant to use my work laptop to check personal e-mails, never mind anything else.

I want to get a wee laptop to take away with me so I can watch the BBC I-player, listen to spotify, download videos, talk to the kids on messenger (my kids that is, not random grooming :eek: ) and stuff like that. I might even want to do a little word processing.

Can anyone recommend a machine that won't break the bank?

Much obliged

Stig

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lenovo S10e or what ever it may have been replaced by now. using one now. netbooks are cheap as silicon chips and ideal for what you want to do.

Bman

Guru
Could always take advantage of one of those deals :

Free laptop when you get mobile broadband on contract?

Not that I've looked at the deal itself. It may be a rubbish laptop

Mr Pig

We wanted a no-frills laptop for our daughter and got one of these:

HP 550

It's slim, light, nicely styled and you can get them from around £300. Aimed at business users it does without some of the gimmicky features, like stereo speakers, but the up side is low price and weight.

Battery life is very good, the display is sharp and bright and they have a good reputation for reliability. Over all just a basic, solid little laptop that gets the job done.

I've got a friend who buys, sells, repairs and builds computers. Top bloke, I've known him for years and bought loads of stuff off him. My son just bought a new PC off him yesterday in fact. I'll ask him if he's got any cheap laptops just now. It just depends what he can get at the time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
We wanted a no-frills laptop for our daughter and got one of these:

HP 550

It's slim, light, nicely styled and you can get them from around £300. Aimed at business users it does without some of the gimmicky features, like stereo speakers, but the up side is low price and weight.

Battery life is very good, the display is sharp and bright and they have a good reputation for reliability. Over all just a basic, solid little laptop that gets the job done.

I've got a friend who buys, sells, repairs and builds computers. Top bloke, I've known him for years and bought loads of stuff off him. My son just bought a new PC off him yesterday in fact. I'll ask him if he's got any cheap laptops just now. It just depends what he can get at the time.

Never heard of 'em but £227 here.

Mr Pig

Talked to my mate and I can get you this:

LINK

HP G70-111EM £370

It's a good spec.
17'' HighDef widescreen
3Gb ram
250 Gb Hard Drive
Intel 2Gh Core2Duo

Big laptop but ideal for watching DVDs etc and great price. That's about £100 cheaper than you could buy it anywhere else. He's only got two left and they'll sell fast so if you'd like one give me a shout as soon as you can.

Mr Pig

marinyork said:
That is a lot better spec than some of the others quoted on this thread.

Cracking big laptop, my mate gets some good deals. Might be a big big for what he wants though. We use a 17'' laptop at home and it's ideal. My son's just bought a new PC and a 24'' display! Huge!!

peanut

Mr Pig said:

LINK

HP G70-111EM £370

It's a good spec.
17'' HighDef widescreen

ermmmmm I think the OP wanted suggestions for something, quote 'Wee' that he can take on tour on a bike ;)

Mr Pig

peanut said:
ermmmmm I think the OP wanted suggestions for something, quote 'Wee' that he can take on tour on a bike :ohmy:

Yeah, I know ;0) Maybe get a bigger bike?

I just phoned my mate and asked what he could get right now and that was it. Sometimes he can get lots of different things, sometimes nothing.

peanut

Mr Pig said:
Yeah, I know ;0) Maybe get a bigger bike?

he needs one of these :smile:
DSC00197_000.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mr Pig said:

LINK

HP G70-111EM £370

It's a good spec.
17'' HighDef widescreen
3Gb ram
250 Gb Hard Drive
Intel 2Gh Core2Duo

Big laptop but ideal for watching DVDs etc and great price. That's about £100 cheaper than you could buy it anywhere else. He's only got two left and they'll sell fast so if you'd like one give me a shout as soon as you can.

marinyork said:
That is a lot better spec than some of the others quoted on this thread.

It's also a million miles from what the OP was looking for. Get a cheap netbook, if all you want is something small for surfing, email and the like.

Top Bottom