Can you recommend me a cheap laptop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

He thinks he can still get the HP DV7 1002ea for about £410, which is a cracking laptop, but nothing around the £300 mark. There might be a used high-end Dell soon but that's about it I'm afraid.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
That is a bit too far out of the price range but thanks for asking, it's very much appreciated :biggrin:

It's actually for the Wife, she, if anything, is even more impulsive than me so at least she's now free to rush out and buy the first thing she finds :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for that, I have steered her in the direction of the Compaq. She seems to have found an even better deal actually so I think she's going to go for that.

Mr Pig

Panter said:
it's supposed to be a good one.

That's the one I bought my daughter! ;0) Low points. Graphics are basic, it'll play DVDs but that's about it, and the sound is not great. Just a mono speaker, it's designed as a basic business machine.

Everything else is nice. Looks good, is slim, light and battery life is respectable. Display is crisp and clear, keyboard nice and the whole things feels solid as you would expect a business machine to. If you're looking for a solid little laptop for the usual computer chores that's light and stylish it's ideal. Good choice ;0)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
She's now sent it back lol

There was an error on HP's part and they wouldn't honour the Windows 7 upgrade. She also didn't like that touchpad so she's thinking of this one as a replacement.

Any thoughts?

Mr Pig

Panter said:
but all the similar spec'd Compaq's will have the same touchpad I assume.

I don't know. I use a mouse with our laptop anyway so I don't care what the pad is like ;0) Use a separate keyboard too. I don't like touch pads full stop, they are far too slow and annoying.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Glad it's not just me :welcome:

I think she's gonig to buy it anyway, to be honest I couldn't really understand the problem with the last one but hopefully this one will make her happy :smile:

Mr Pig

Panter said:
hopefully this one will make her happy :welcome:

Who knows eh? At the end of the day most laptops do much the same sort of thing these days so I'm sure it'll do the job. I think Acer stuff if very plasticy but it seems better built than it used to be. My son has an Acer 24inch display, it was really cheap and the screen is cracking quality. It was a good buy.

Top Bottom