Can you speak any language/s

Can you speak any language/s other than English :?:

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

That's not a bad idea!

Tell them it gets it's unique flavour from the 6-12 months it is matured in caves left over from the tin mining industry.

These caves have a unique bacterial mix that gives the cheese it's slightly bitter texture and highly distinctive blue-veined effect

Keep going on about it, wait a few months and people will start asking cheesemongers for it and getting nowhere, then buy some ropey old cheddar and market it as Cornish Puddglum and charge the earth.

Actually don't - I might try it myself :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A Cornish fella once told me that "Dudder didder, dudder?" means "Did Keith Mitchell beat you up?" in Redruth. :smile: It's not Cornish, though, it's mangled English.

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
A Cornish fella once told me that "Dudder didder, dudder?" means "Did Keith Mitchell beat you up?" in Redruth. :smile: It's not Cornish, though, it's mangled English.
Sounds more like Morse code.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
That's not a bad idea!

Tell them it gets it's unique flavour from the 6-12 months it is matured in caves left over from the tin mining industry.

These caves have a unique bacterial mix that gives the cheese it's slightly bitter texture and highly distinctive blue-veined effect

Keep going on about it, wait a few months and people will start asking cheesemongers for it and getting nowhere, then buy some ropey old cheddar and market it as Cornish Puddglum and charge the earth.

Actually don't - I might try it myself :biggrin:

I like the idea! You could build up a real mythology!:smile: Like it was originally included in pasties, and is, uniquely among cheeses, clotted, like the cream...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
Sounds more like Morse code.
He also explained... Dudder was a rather unkind nickname for the aforementioned Mr Mitchell, who had a stammer (and who I don't know at all).
"Didder" means "did you", as in 'did you over, beat you up' etc. "the final dudder (if you still care) is a question tag, as in "did he?".
I've waited 20 years to explain that to someone. Now I shall have to celebrate with a glass of vino.

mangaman

Arch said:
I like the idea! You could build up a real mythology!:smile: Like it was originally included in pasties, and is, uniquely among cheeses, clotted, like the cream...

Good thinking - it's all falling into place.

I'm thinking maybe Puddglum should get some of the profit, as presumably he/she is Cornish (maybe 10%ish)

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
Good thinking - it's all falling into place.

I'm thinking maybe Puddglum should get some of the profit, as presumably he/she is Cornish (maybe 10%ish)

Ok, sounds fair....

I can hear the advert now...

<pics of Cornish countryside, etc>

<voiceover (in slightly, but not too strong, West Country accent)>

For centuries, Cornwall has kept a secret. Made from purest clotted cream, hand shaped by buxom Cornish wenches, matured in historic tin mines....

<cut to shot of perfect family picniccing on perfect beach, eating cheese and onion pasties>

<voiceover>

Cornish Puddleglum. A slice of history...

<small print at bottom of screen>

Cornish Puddleglum may just be cheddar coloured in with blue pen. May contain heavy metals. May not contain cream.

mangaman

Sorted - we've got the product / the name / the advert

I've got this recurring thought in my head though now of a disembodied voice saying "Sir Allen will see you now"

10 minutes later in the boardroom - "Mangaman it was your idea in the first place. You're a total bloody shambles - your fired"

Anyway this is all a bit OT - sorry.

I have a Swedish O level (GCSE for the youngsters) although I can only say "Eric har en fin utsikt över sjön" which means "Eric has a fine view over the lake". The scary thing was that was the only sentence of Swedish I ever knew and I got a B

mangaman said:
I have a Swedish O level (GCSE for the youngsters) although I can only say "Eric har en fin utsikt över sjön" which means "Eric has a fine view over the lake". The scary thing was that was the only sentence of Swedish I ever knew and I got a B

Where and when did you go to school to get an O-level in Swedish?

mangaman

High Wycombe Grammar school in 1983.

I think there were about 10 people in the country that weren't Swedish doing it - all at my school.

We happened to have a German teacher who could speak Swedish and it was available to do as an extra O-level while we did our A levels.

Top Bottom