Can you speak any language/s

Can you speak any language/s other than English :?:

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Cornish actually died out in that the last native speaker died some time in the 19th century but I believe that there is a serious attempt being made to get it going again.

bonj2

pointless, imho. Same as welsh. They'd save loads of money in white line paint if they didn't have to paint 'ARAF' on the road all the time!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
bonj said:
pointless, imho. Same as welsh. They'd save loads of money in white line paint if they didn't have to paint 'ARAF' on the road all the time!
You're going the wrong way! :smile: It's FARA :blush::biggrin::wacko:;):biggrin:;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Andy in Sig said:
Cornish actually died out in that the last native speaker died some time in the 19th century but I believe that there is a serious attempt being made to get it going again.

There are at least 3 rival versions in fact, each now with significant numbers of speakers. A friend of mine did his PhD on the situation!

In case anyone is interested, one version is based on the last known version from the C19th (a very practical, industrial and according to the other schools, 'debased' version), one is supposed to be a 'purer' version based on the Cornish spoken in the middle-ages, and one is a more practical version (like modern Welsh, with lots of loan words and transliterations from English). I think it's this last one that gets taught in many Cornish primary schools now.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It is fascinating to think that a language like Cornish could be revived having fallen into disuse. Whether or not native fluency is possible is difficult to say, as being surrounded by native German speakers I am certainly not at mother tongue level. The difficulty with Cornish is not having a native speaker base to learn from and have 'mistakes' corrected. I assume AiS would agree with this experience.

The best hope is bilingual eduction, which seems to be halting the decline in Welsh.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Presumably learning an additional language can't hurt, even if it's not widely used* - I'd assume that the mental skills developed would be useful in all sorts of ways, just as puzzles and so on are good at keeping the mind active...

*I'm not thinking of Latin, I think that has additional benefits anyway, in seeing where so many of our words come from. I'm thinking Cornish and Welsh and so on.

yello

Someone once said to me that languages die out on a daily basis; if you consider that each of us has our own language (our own nuanced meanings for words, our own peculiar usages, our own grammars even) then this is true... nerdy, geeky and arguably p-in-the-a pinicky but true.

mangaman

Spanish pretty good
French getbyable

puddleglum said:
French - pretty good, German working on it and reasonable Cornish.
My English is clearly a work in progress.

Out of interest, how did you learn your Cornish Puddleglum?

mangaman

You can't beat Cornish Puddglum - I like it on toast personally, with a touch of Worcester sauce.

Lovely

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
You can't beat Cornish Puddglum - I like it on toast personally, with a touch of Worcester sauce.

Lovely

of course, it would have to be a cheese.

I may start telling everyone it's my favourite, see them all rush off to try and buy it...:smile:

Top Bottom