Cars to be banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

procel

if they parked 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away, which for a lot of these cases would be their house!, & walked the remainder you'd actually be able to see people & proceed carefully.

Here's the map of the school catchment areas in Edinburgh: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/636/non-denominational_primary_school_catchment_areas

Not sure what schools this applies to, but I'm guessing not the ones outside the urban area of the city. Within the urban area, one of the largest catchments looks to be 'Flora Stevenson' primary.

According to Google Maps, the furthest house away from that school, within its catchment is 0.8mi, a 14 min walk. For that distance, the journey time difference between motorcar or bike is probably measurable in seconds. Not sure whether the council's proposed system will work in practice, but I don't have any problem with the principle of the council discouraging selfishly lazy people clogging up the roads with motor traffic when they could take such a short walk or ride.

GrasB

Veteran
In that case, yes I agree walking is probably the best best, however I live in a relatively remote village for the area, the nearest school (I think it's an infant school not a primary school) is about 2.75-3 miles of fairly narrow winding roads without paths. On a lovely day, yes that's a nice long walk but in the cold, rain etc. it's decidedly unpleasant.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
No if you are dropping off further away, then it's less concentrated into one area. My kids primary school was on a narrow parked up road, making it one lane for use by traffic going both ways, so cars would drive along the pavement to pass each other at times. All to try to stop right by the gate. And we used to cycle through that melee, it would have been much nicer to be on a quiet road.

People shouldn't need a sign saying kids around watch out, as there are kids around anyway, we lived half a mile away from their primary school.

It's very much like that where I live, there are two primary schools within 500 metres on a narrow residential street which becomes impassable from 3pm until 4am, and frequently parents leave cars in places that prevent residents from leaving causing them to be trapped in their streets until the school traffic has cleared.

There's lots of traffic free walking and cycling routes out of the area which mean there's no particular need for parents to park immediately outside the schools. I can't imagine many of these are travelling more than a mile to get there...

Top Bottom